Talk

Advanced search

Finally dry at night...who thought it would be such a LONG journey!

(5 Posts)
2kidsintow Sat 16-Jul-11 22:32:40

My DD1 was potty trained early, but had trouble getting dry at night. We tried lots of things ourselves over the years...lifting for a late night toilet trip, wearing pull ups, not wearing pull ups, even fitting a deafening wet alarm. Nothing worked. It sounds like we bounced from one idea to another quickly, but in reality this was the last 6 years and we tried each method for months at a time.
The problem was, my DD sleeps like the dead! She would sleep in a puddle and not wake, and when the alarm was being tried it didn't last long at all. After the first couple of nights waking everyone up (inc probably our neighbours it was so loud) yet not making her stir, it was abandoned.

After two trips to the docs at 8 and then 9 we got a referral. We've been at the aneuresis clinic for the last year and have had a lot of (sometimes conflicting and quite limiting) advice.
No late drinks, no dark drinks, no acidic drinks, no milk late in the day etc etc etc.

Finally, something seemed to click and we've been able to do away with the pyjama pants and get by with the bed mats and just one or two accidents a week. On nights she does have an accident she will wake herself up, get up and strip her bed, then go and sleep in her other bunk.

What made it worse was her anxiety about going into y6 next year and the residential trips that are planned. And to compound things, DD2 was dry at night the instant she was dry in the day and has slept for the last 3 years without pyjama pants.

At several points I thought it was a never ending road, so to all of you who may be going through the same thing, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

I now have a

Curlybrunette Sun 17-Jul-11 07:55:11

Yay, really glad for your dd1, must have been so hard when dd2 got dry. Go girl!

x

Highlander Sun 17-Jul-11 11:54:40

aw, thanks for posting that.

DS1 is nearly 7 and is still soaking at night; he also sleeps like the dead smile

In the last month, he can be roused now at 10pm in order to go for a wee and that is enough to stop him leaking out of his DryNights.

I suspect it's going to be a long journey for us as well wink

ElectricSoftParade Sun 17-Jul-11 13:29:57

2Kids Well done! Like Highlander my DS is seven next month and is still completely soaking every night. Doesn't matter if we take him to the loo 3 or 4 times during the night, he is still soaking.

He does have health issues (short gut syndrome and one working kidney) so advice from the docs so far is that it is more important to keep in hydrated so can't restrict drinks. So, soggy beds for the forseeable future. sad

Anyway, well done again, your DD must be very proud of herself. Good lass!smile

alwaysright Mon 18-Jul-11 15:18:08

I am also hopefully winning a bed wetting battle! my DS is 7yo and although and fought for the wee alarm (apparently they prefer to give to kids over 8yo) it worked intially, dry nights after 2 weeks of use. 5 months went past, then he suddenly started wetting again no reason, school was fine, home life fine, no change in routine. Used the alarm again and he just slept through it, carried on for 3 sodding months hearing that thing going off night after night! groan

One night we stayed at a friends house and he said "I don't want to wear the alarm" and he's been pretty much dry ever since! (3 weeks now).

The only thing that changed was when he wet at night it was normally between 10.30-11.30pm (I got told not to wake him and bleary eyed take him to the loo as you're encouraging him to wee in his sleep if he's not fully awake apparently!) and when we went away he stayed up until 11.00pm, had a wee before bed. So I spent the next week working his bedtime slowly back to the normal bedtime of 8pm (cut it back half hour a night).

You are not alone!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now