Talk

Advanced search

How do I get my 3yo to follow instructions?

(9 Posts)
BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 15-Jul-11 15:28:51

by which I mean when it is important and I don't have time to cajole or persuade. Such as for safety reasons.

Is there a knack to it? A way of wording a request?

SuePurblybilt Fri 15-Jul-11 15:29:46

Roar it from your very soul grin

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 15-Jul-11 15:32:11

Ha! Just makes him cry.

Unless you were joking in which I have never done it

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 15-Jul-11 15:33:23

Non emergency requests are often met with 'no thanks mummy'

Not much use when I want him to pass the phone and I'm feeding his brother

SuePurblybilt Fri 15-Jul-11 15:37:00

I was sort of joking. Have never done it either obv grin

I have a rule with DD (4 now but for ages) that when I yell STOP she does. We practiced in the park as a game and she now screeches to a dead halt - so I don't need to hold hands and can let her run/scoot ahead.

That'd be my best idea- make it a game outside or through a musical statues type game.

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 15-Jul-11 15:38:37

You know that is a VERY good idea. Thank you very much

Nagini Fri 15-Jul-11 15:42:43

Yes. The only thing my 4 year old would do is STOP! grin

I have decided on a bribery strategy. He gets 'ticks' on a chart for doing good behaviour, and when he gets to the end of the day he gets a star, end of the week a little (£2) toy. Kids like ticks smile

please can you <less than 3 words> and that would be very kind and you will get a tick on your chart.

I know 'they' hmm at bribery but it works for me!

OvO Fri 15-Jul-11 15:43:16

I find roaring stop doesn't work but yelling 'BISCUITS' works a treat and he happily gallops back to me. It's just like having a dog.

I have no idea but I shall wait here to see of there's any sensible advice coming. grin

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 15-Jul-11 15:52:27

What about the not life and death dangerous situations but where, say, a glass of water is about to be spilled? Me saying "DS font kick that cup please" didn't seem to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now