Talk

Advanced search

Little girls and best friends

(5 Posts)
Laugs Fri 15-Jul-11 10:30:10

DD is 4.5 and has her first Best Friend - a girl she is obsessed with, wants to marry, wants to see every day after school etc.

Obviously I'm pleased she's found someone she gets on so well with, but the whole thing makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. She was always the child that played with everyone at nursery, and always very happily. She doesn't seem quite so happy all the time now, and also mimics the other girl's behaviour. DD is definitely the less dominant in the pair.

I know that friendships are always a bit of a minefield with girls and it's all part of growing up. AIBU to try and encourage her to have a wider circle of friends, or should I just keep out of it?

swash Fri 15-Jul-11 12:59:25

I would encourage other friendships actually. Say she can have one playdate a week with this girl - which is ample for reception anyway - and find her something to do on Saturdays that brings her into contact with other children. It's too close to the end of term to talk to the teacher I think, but why don't you arrange a few playdates with other kids over the summer. Things may well change naturally by September anyway.

Laugs Fri 15-Jul-11 16:56:17

Thanks Swash. That's exactly what I was thinking - I had said to DH this morning about finding an activity on a Saturday so she could hopefully meet a group of friends that is separate from school - but then I started to worry that maybe I am just trying to remain in control of her life.

Beamur Fri 15-Jul-11 16:57:58

She is 4.5, I think you are allowed to be in control for a bit yet.

Laugs Fri 15-Jul-11 17:12:54

Ok. Good grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now