Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth getting safety gates for toddler?

(13 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:24:39

We have lived in a flat since DD was born and have always managed with closing doors but now she can reach the handles easily and gets her paws into everything I am wondering if I do get some will they still keep her out?
She is 21 months and into everything, she seems to find a way of getting into whatever I have tried to hide/put away.

All the pictures I see with safety gates show babies crawling, so would a toddler be able to get around them somehow?
I really need something.

Tee2072 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:27:07

We have a gate on our 2 year old son's room. He cannot open or climb it.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:28:44

Thanks tee, what type have you got or are they all similar?

ilovesprouts Thu 14-Jul-11 19:31:51

i have gate on my ds2 room but he has sn my dd has them on her doors for her 1 year old son pressure fit ones

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:32:10

i think it depends on the child. My daughter could climb out of her cot by 15 months and could open the stair gate well before two, and we had a couple of types! We haven't had them since well before she was two and just manage without. Although sometimes it would be nice to be able to contain her!

mrspants Thu 14-Jul-11 19:32:24

I would get one. My dd is only just starting to try and climb over hers and she is 2y 5m. Would be worth the piece of mind for those few months. Can't remember my son ever climbing over them. We like the Lindam gates. Several different ones and fits etc, with extension bits available.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:38:29

Or do they do anything that locks cupboards/drawers that would be better?

Tee2072 Thu 14-Jul-11 20:03:12

Ivor if you go To the Baby Dan Website you'll find tons of stuff.

But shop around as prices can vary!

p99gmb Thu 14-Jul-11 20:19:29

We got lindam stair gates from Tesco - such a life saver - probably literally.. it so helpful at times, especially when you're on your own to know they are safely contained.. we have 3 - one in the playroom (altho seldom shut) - one at the bottom of the stairs and one on their bedroom... the clever little 3yo can just about open them - many adults fail!!!

notcitrus Thu 14-Jul-11 20:29:49

Worth it for your sanity - they're just over £20 from Argos. I'd go for screw-in rather than pressure-fit if you can as dn managed to charge our kitchen pressure-fit one and make it fall off. Ones where you have to both squeeze something and lift a lever with your little finger are best as then a small child can't do both at once. Though I expect ds and dn to cooperate and get through the stair gate any time now... they're 3 and nearly 3.

I know people who have put their computer and telly in a playpen and let the toddler loose in the rest of the house, which is another option!

ilovesprouts Thu 14-Jul-11 20:43:13

sure start sell them too along we firegards

swash Thu 14-Jul-11 20:47:55

I got mine from a boot fair. They really are vv handy but they are a good thing to buy secondhand - try Friday ad, freecycle, nct sakes etc.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:03:05

Thanks ladies, I think I will do that as we have another sprog on the way soon anyway. Think I might try the second hand root too swash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now