Talk

Advanced search

Holiday toys for 8 month old

(8 Posts)
BuntyCollocks Thu 14-Jul-11 10:43:42

We're taking ds to turkey in September when he'll be 8months. He is our pfb, and honestly, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what toys would be good to get to entertain him for the 4 hours he could potentially be awake on the plane, the time beforehand in the airport, and the holiday itself. Obviously, I don't want anything that's going to make other holidaymakers want to strangle us unhappy, but as he's the first child on either side of the family for 21 years, I have no one to ask who is particularly au fait with good toys for such situations!

We have an iPad, so will be downloading some Disney, as he enjoys watching the colours and greys anatomy, but toys are obviously preferred.

Also, is there a good list anywhere of the essentials for travelling with a dc of this age or thereabouts?

BlueChampagne Thu 14-Jul-11 12:46:00

Stacking cups - don't take up much room, can be used in pool/bath/sand/floor.

iwantavuvezela Thu 14-Jul-11 13:14:00

i found those little sticky pads you get in offices good! My daughter would stick all the little pieces of paper all over the seat -but easy to pull off again! You can get them in bright colours and shapes.
Just take a bag of tricks! Little items that you can pull out of your bag and distract him with - a few books; stickers; pens?; old mobile phone; set of old keys; things you might not mind losing on route!
Take some plastic buckets, spades etc for turkey.
food and snacks always good! This will make the plane trip easier.
Iwould also take a lolly / dummy / something to suck on for take off and landing (or milk either feeding from bottle/breast) as it helps stop their ears hurting which causes most of the wailing you hear on flights!
Good luck - airports are quite lively in themselves and your son might well be intersted in everything around him ...

shelscrape Thu 14-Jul-11 23:20:31

Oh yes, stacking cups. 8 month olds can spend ages just moving them around and rearranging them. Take a pack of balloons, so simple and so much fun and a bottle of bubbles. Take a favourite cot blanket or sheet, it will probably be too hot to put in the cot on holiday, but will make your room smell like home if you know what I mean.

SpeedyGonzalez Thu 14-Jul-11 23:28:47

Take Tupperware pots and plastic cups - picnic stuff. And a bag to put them in. That way he'll enjoy unpacking and messing around with them, and when he's finished you'll.be able to use them for picnics!

SpeedyGonzalez Thu 14-Jul-11 23:30:10

Just noticed you said you let your 8 mo watch tv! shock

BuntyCollocks Fri 15-Jul-11 09:12:05

Thanks for all the suggestions, will go and invest at the weekend. Local nct has a nearly new sale, so may get lucky.

speedy - even worse, he's only 5 months at the moment! :p I don't let him watch tv, but if it's been on whilst he's on my lap playing with me, he finds meredith far more interesting than my tummy tickles, and tends to enjoy sitting with daddy and I watching f1 or football, which leads me to believe it's the colours he likes. It's not a part of the daily routine! smile

The greys anatomy I am, however, at a loss to explain...

BlueChampagne Fri 15-Jul-11 12:51:11

Be careful about the volume of your bubble mix if they're still being picky about liquids when you go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now