Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Good generic present for 5 year olds?

(30 Posts)
AndiMac Wed 13-Jul-11 13:13:37

So I have this thing. For any age of child so far, unless I know them really well or are a relation, I get every child a variation on the same present. So far what I have is:

1st Birthday: A sippy cup, bowl & bib from Ikea
2nd: A play cooking set
3rd: A cookie mix in a jar (sounds lame, looks really good)
4th: A piggy bank, ideally the paint-your-own-piggy-bank variety

The reason I do this is it saves me a load of brain-wracking, trying to think of what to give to different children and I can buy a set of them and not find myself caught short the day before the party with no ideas and nothing to get.

But now I find the first of the 5th birthday parties is creeping up to me and I don't know what to get. Any great ideas out there?

BlueChampagne Wed 13-Jul-11 13:15:29

lego - works for boys and girls and doesn't matter if duplicated!

AndiMac Wed 13-Jul-11 13:51:37

Ooh, that's a good one. I wonder if they even do generic sets of Lego nowadays...

Any other ideas?

going Wed 13-Jul-11 13:58:58

A set of books from the Book people

suzikettles Wed 13-Jul-11 14:00:02

Lego. I think the last 4 or 5 presents I've bought have all been Lego and it's scaleable, so anything from a fiver upwards.

suzikettles Wed 13-Jul-11 14:02:57

You can get a £10 generic box of Lego (I've bought it from Tesco & Amazon) which is a very satisfying box shape to wrap and a good, cheap starter set or will go with whatever they have already.

allhailtheaubergine Wed 13-Jul-11 14:06:16

I am currently buying every 4, 5 and 6 year old in my life modelling clay. Brightly coloured - a bit like plasticine. Always goes down well.

AndiMac Wed 13-Jul-11 15:29:34

These are good. Perhaps I can build up my stock to 6, 7 and beyond birthdays!

BertieBotts Wed 13-Jul-11 15:32:49

Colouring book

Takver Wed 13-Jul-11 18:43:05

My generic present used to be sets of the Usborne 50 things to make and do cards - there's a science set, baking set, rainy day set, crafty set & poss others. Possibly slightly young for a just 5 y/o, but definitely good for a 6 y/o. (Cooking & science ones most 'neutral' I would say, others more likely to appeal to a child who enjoys art/craft.)

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 13-Jul-11 18:52:35

Hama beads - Argos do a set that is in the 2 for £15 deal.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 13-Jul-11 18:54:08

how the heck am I posting as someone else????

BeerTricksPotter Wed 13-Jul-11 19:02:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 13-Jul-11 19:13:17

try again

ChasingSquirrels Wed 13-Jul-11 19:13:43

yay - that's me!

JulesJules Wed 13-Jul-11 19:18:46

I like a really good colouring/doodling book like this one with a pack of fineliners &/or a set of colouring pencils like this and this
And also, torches. I like the little bright LED ones and the eco wind up sort.

Ilythia Wed 13-Jul-11 20:00:12

I have given craft boxes, only a few quid from pound shop as well. Things like 'make your own wooden spoon puppet, or soft toy or something.
Mr Maker also do craft kits which were £4 in asda last time I saw them, brilliant as they have everything you need and make cool sock puppets. Am just about to run out after a year of parties.

DragonAlley Wed 13-Jul-11 20:15:06

What budget? DD is 5 and we've (DSs 12 and 10 too!) had a lot of fun with Lego's Shear a Sheep game. it's about £8,

HuwEdwards Wed 13-Jul-11 20:16:04

Shrinkles - bought loads of them - both sexes LOVE them £9.99

AndiMac Wed 13-Jul-11 20:32:59

I think paying more than £10 for a kid's present is just plain silly, so that's more or less my bar, but I'm comfortable spending less too. wink

I'm loving these ideas - my only problem will be making a decision and sticking with it! One of the other reasons I give the same present for everyone at a certain age means that the following year I don't have to desperately try and remember what I gave the year before to not copy it! So I better not get tempted to just go through the list of ideas and give a different one to each kid this year...

UniS Wed 13-Jul-11 21:02:52

A football.
Lego
Frisbee or skipping rope.
Paper aeroplane kit.
Light up glittery bouncy balls.

nimbs Wed 13-Jul-11 21:05:47

Board game
Books - summer/holiday activity types
OUtdoor toys
Craft stuff - pens/paper/stickers
Jigsaws
Sweets!

AndiMac Sat 16-Jul-11 18:10:29

In case anyone is interested, I chose the Lego starter set for the 5 birthday present. But lots of ideas for future birthdays, thank you very much everyone who contributed!

Curlybrunette Sun 17-Jul-11 08:07:45

I often get book people sets, and my latest phase is character jim jams

Alittle6976 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:19:36

I give books, I'm an usborne organiser so they're either from my free allowance or cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now