Talk

Advanced search

Help me stay calm at bedtime!

(9 Posts)
dribbleface Tue 12-Jul-11 21:04:30

MY Ds 3years on sunday has been in a good sleeping pattern for about a year (the 2 before that was the stuff of nightmares!). Anyway last week started to play up a bit, demanding XYZ etc. My mum then babysat one night and he cried for me (which he never does with my mum - think he prefers her to me grin so she let him come downstairs on the sofa). Anyway since then he had played up something rotten everynight.

To be fair I was unwell last week (28weeks pregnant) and had to pop to hospital for assessment in the day (he went to my mum) and then was laid up on bed rest for 3 days. I know it unsettled him.

It starts with pretend crying, then escalates into genuine tears (have ignored the sillyness once to see what happened). 6 times i went up to him tonight, i'm trying to just put him back to bed and say goodnight. I would have more sympathy for him but tonight he told me he was crying because his gruffalo didn't have enough teeth!!

Other than consitent calmness what can i do?!

dribbleface Wed 13-Jul-11 17:22:59

bumping in hope of advice for tonight!

Fuzzled Wed 13-Jul-11 17:27:25

Just keep putting him back with a cuddle and a pat?
Dunno really as mine is only 10mo so I have all this joy ahead! confused

dribbleface Wed 13-Jul-11 17:31:12

thanks fuzzled, think i will just keep being consistent. I'm annoyed as it took sooooo long to get a good routine!

Fuzzled Wed 13-Jul-11 17:35:06

Know what you mean! Taken me ages to get to the leaving to grouse for 5 minutes self settle stage and it still sometimes doesn't work.
Consistency is key (and a DH/DP ready with a wine !)

MissPB Wed 13-Jul-11 18:16:07

One thing I find really helpful to keep me feeling a little calmer is to make sure I have had something to eat at about 5pm - slice of toast, cracker etc. This means that I am not starving hungry when/if all the messing about starts and am able to feel more relaxed (and not thinking about how hungry/tired I am).
Hope this helps!

dribbleface Wed 13-Jul-11 20:27:55

Thanks MissPB, well tonight he upped his game and took to thowing things over the stair gate at me and screaming, after 5 times DH went up (so i could eat some dinner) and he went straight to bed! Grrrrrrrrr!

Gilberte Thu 14-Jul-11 09:56:46

He's probably playing up a bit more because you are pregnant and he's feeling anxious. Could you stay with him until he goes to sleep? I still lie next to DD and she's 3.5. Tricky now I've got two though so will have to get her to self-settle soon.

dribbleface Fri 15-Jul-11 13:39:11

well last night we changed rountine. I did story said goodnight and then DH tucked him in. Not a peep from him! He was rewarded with a hot wheels car so fingers crossed for tonight! DH is out so we shall see.

Gilberte - thanks. Not keen to lie with him as he has always gone off ok and once he goes to bed i have to have dinner etc and prepare for work the next day, and at the moment i need my sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now