Talk

Advanced search

Junk food/treats - DD aged 10 - how often?

(2 Posts)
RockinSockBunnies Tue 12-Jul-11 16:28:23

So, DP is moaning that DD has too many treats and eats too much junk food. I can't say that I'm concerned as I think she eats fairly healthily. But, in the name of fairness, I thought I'd ask others with children aged approx 10/11 how much 'junk' their children eat (or how much 'junk' you eat as a family)?

So, DD loves chocolate/sweets/crisps. So do I. We're both tall and slim (I'm a size 8-10). I normally eat chocolate daily. Or, if not chocolate, then a biscuit or two, or some cake. DD will probably have some kind of treat each day, whether it's chocolate, or some cake, or some crisps, or an ice cream. She also eats a wide range of all other things - fruit, veg, lean meat. She's just hit puberty and is growing at a rate of knots and is always hungry.

DP is complaining that she'll end up fat and unhealthy (she walks a lot, bounces lots on trampoline and seems perfectly healthy to me). I don't see a problem. DP would rather that DD had chocolate/cake/sweets once a week. He also doesn't like it when DD is out and she asks if they can buy an ice cream or something. But, then again, DP isn't into sweet stuff, is exercise-mad, eats insane amounts of fruit and veg and can't understand my love of chocolate.

Feedback welcome - am I setting up DD for a lifetime of bad habits? Or is DP over zealous in his approach to a healthy lifestyle?

Othersideofthechannel Tue 12-Jul-11 20:41:41

IMO he's overzealous.

I think once a week is likely to turn that kind of food into 'forbidden fruit'.

We have cake or biscuits every day in this house! I don't think it's a bad habit if you are doing enough exercise to compensate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now