Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Are there any films that would appeal to 12yr old boy that show 'real' relationships and positive women role models?

(19 Posts)
Izpie Tue 12-Jul-11 08:44:01

This post is on my sisters behalf - she's just watched the film Transformers with her boys where apparently the only women are tarts or bitches and shout 'bitch' at each other when fighting, the men obviously don't call each other bastard or cock etc. She really wants to provide some balance to their viewing and find some alternative films that her boys (10 and 12) would not balk at the thought of watching. Films that are a good model for caring interaction between people and where the women aren't all evil witches, helpless damsels or sexed up vixens.
They don't watch anything above PG. Not sure Hollywood produces anything like this though.....

MortaIWombat Tue 12-Jul-11 11:30:24

Harry Potter?

SomekindofSpanish Tue 12-Jul-11 12:16:18

Was it Transformers 3? There was only really one main female character in it, and although not a great representation, she was not a 'tart' or a 'bitch'.

I second Harry Potter. Not sure what else is out at the moment.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 12-Jul-11 20:37:39

Bridge to Terabithia
The lead girl character is great. Stands up for herself, not afraid to be different, caring.

Spiderwick Chronicles

Izpie Wed 13-Jul-11 08:26:20

Thanks for your replies - I think they've seen the Harry Potter films but I hadn't heard of the Bridge to Terabithia or the Spiderwick Chronicles, will let my sister know.

Othersideofthechannel Wed 13-Jul-11 12:11:07

You might get more ideas if you post in the feminism topic.

baldbyfifty Thu 14-Jul-11 11:01:03

Have no suggestions but good for your sister!! Have lovely 10yr old daughter maybe we can create a love match in 20 yrs or so??? lol

Ceasnake Fri 15-Jul-11 09:56:34

Most James Cameron films have strong female role models but they might be a wee bit violent and adult for a 12 year old? I was thinking of Terminator 2 and the Abyss in particular.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 15-Jul-11 14:19:21

What about Stardust? There were some good women in that. Also Studio Ghibli films are great - Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away?

aStarInStrangeways Fri 15-Jul-11 14:21:49

The original Star Wars films.

Cappster Fri 15-Jul-11 14:22:42

Akeelah and the Bee

Cappster Fri 15-Jul-11 14:23:29

Oh lord yes and Stardust, fab film

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

Nim's Island

Awomancalledhorse Fri 15-Jul-11 14:32:32

A Series of Unfortunate Events/Lemny Snicket has two lead characters who are children (brother & sister); the sister is smart & pratical & the brother is 'book' smart & has a very good memory.
Phobe Cates is quite 'strong' in Gremlins, think it might be a 15 (I know the second film is only a PG).
Return to Oz? Might be scary for a 10 year old (she says as a 23yr old still terrified by the evil witch lady).
Any of the 'feelgood' family movies like My Dog Skip, Babe, Charlottes Web etc with great relationships between animal & human?
Would the 12 year old be interested in ww2 films/b&w films like Carve Her Name With Pride?
Going on what Elephants said; My Neighbour Totoro has a very strong female lead.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 15-Jul-11 14:58:18

Not one for just yet but if they get onto more violent films etc the main heroic character in Kick-Ass is a girl who is a martial arts expert/assassin who rocked my socks off. She was so cool <pathetic fan girl> and I'm a lot older than 12.

Labyrinth is good, and I like Mirrormask as well which was made by some of the same people.

Loved the girl in Series fo Unfortunate Events as well - the way she determinedly ties up her hair when she's inventing smile

Disco1975 Fri 15-Jul-11 16:27:28

Agree with Bridge to Terabithia. Also, Whale Rider and Rabbit-Proof Fence.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sat 16-Jul-11 21:36:14

Must add, having just seen it, that Harry potter features a range of good women: hermione, prof mcgonagall, and mrs weasley for instance.

iheartdusty Sat 16-Jul-11 21:43:11

Not quite so strong on female roles, but just fantastic on real boys, friendship, loyalty, and a hilarious film generally Son of Rambow

I agree with the Studio Ghibli idea, but would just comment that they are aimed at a range of ages - My Neighbour Totoro, for example, is really aimed at under 8s, I think. Boys of 10 & 12 could prefer Princess Mononoke, or Nausicaa.

lawnimp Sat 16-Jul-11 21:48:04

calamitry jane

NeverendingStoryteller Mon 18-Jul-11 12:09:47

Whale rider is a lovely story of a girl who is destined to take over from her grandfather as the head of their Maori tribe (NZ film), despite his reluctance and lack of support - also amazing human/animal links - very nice stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: