Talk

Advanced search

Tooth care

(15 Posts)
WhoahThere Mon 11-Jul-11 13:28:29

Hi, dd's first tooth is peeking through... what's the best way of cleaning it, I'm thinking a brush isn't an option at this early stage?

Thanks all

Madlizzy Mon 11-Jul-11 13:29:15

I used a very soft toothbrush with a tiny dab of toothpaste.

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 13:29:49

I used a brush right from the start. The baby toothbrushes are very soft and just put the slightest smear of baby toothpaste on it.

Sparklyboots Tue 12-Jul-11 00:54:24

My DS (6months) has two teeth properly through and a further four just poking through (we're having such a wonderful time!). We are using a baby toothbrush and baby toothpaste, but as he isn't really eating much (BF/ BLW) it's more like a game we play in the bath, where we both have our toothbrushes and I clean my teeth and try to clean his a bit. It usually ends up with him just mouthing his toothbrush, though I do massage on some toothpaste (with a finger) and try to get in a few brushes with his toothbrush before he takes over. I'm hoping that it will develop into automatic and non traumatic toothbrushing as we go along. <crosses fingers>

differentnameforthis Tue 12-Jul-11 01:33:23

You don't need toothpaste, he is far to young yet. You shouldn't need to use toothpaste until they are 2.

You can use a small soft toothbrush or a flannel.

differentnameforthis Tue 12-Jul-11 01:33:53

she

Tee2072 Tue 12-Jul-11 06:28:18

They make toothpaste for those under 2. Use a small smear and a small brush.

lyraa Tue 12-Jul-11 08:18:31

How old is your DD? DS was 4 months when his first two teeth came through so I found a 'toothbrush' that fit over the tip of my finger so I could squeeze my finger in and give them a brush. When he was around 6 months I moved to a baby tooth brush, I basically get a few seconds brushing in myself before he grabs it off me and starts chewing it!

Weleda do a baby toothpaste which doesn't contain fluoride which I used until he was one, then moved on to a baby toothpaste with a tiny amount of fluoride in.

Hope that helps.

differentnameforthis Tue 12-Jul-11 08:32:45

They do Tee, but you don't need it & babies don't need to consume the crap they out in it.

WhoahThere Tue 12-Jul-11 08:38:09

Thanks for the replies, lyraa she's just coming up to 6 months.

Toothpaste if used needs go be fluoride free then.... different, what sort of 'crap' do you mean they put in it?

differentnameforthis Tue 12-Jul-11 10:15:49

The same stuff they put in all toothpastes. Chemicals, sorbitol, etc none of it is good for anyone, let alone babies.

Tee2072 Tue 12-Jul-11 10:25:54

Well, my dentist disagrees with you. So I'll listen to him.

blackteaplease Tue 12-Jul-11 15:20:14

My dentist told me that babies teeth are still growing once they have broken thorugh the gums and flouride assists that growth.

We used a smear of baby toothpaste on a soft brush twice a day. DD is 18 months and it's still a bit hit and miss as she's very independent ie, won't let us have the brush!

lurcherlover Tue 12-Jul-11 21:10:55

I've been told by the dentist, HV and GP to use a tiny smear of flouride toothpaste. Getting it on DS' teeth is another matter though...

PurpleCrazyHorse Wed 13-Jul-11 22:27:30

We used a baby toothbrush and baby toothpaste (just a tiny amount) from the very start, as soon as her first tooth appeared. We did go through a stage of having to force clean DD's teeth but it didn't last long and now at 22mo, DD will happily open her mouth for us to clean her teeth. We clean her teeth and the she has a go with the brush afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now