Talk

Advanced search

Dribble sore - worried it's going to scar

(9 Posts)
Octaviapink Sun 10-Jul-11 20:50:26

DD (2.2) sometimes gets dribble rash on one side of her mouth where she sleeps with her mouth open. A couple of weeks ago she got a sore spot just about half a centimetre from the left side of her mouth. The problem is, it's where she tends to fiddle when she sucks her thumb, and it's not getting any better. A few times she's scratched it till it bled. She'll leave it alone for a couple of days and then go at it again and I find blood/dribble on her pillow. I've tried cutting her nails as short as they'll go, plasters on it, antibiotic cream. Should I take her to the GP? Trouble is, I don't see what the GP could do. How can I get her to leave it alone? I'm sure she's already going to have a scar there.

purplepidjin Sun 10-Jul-11 20:55:42

How about cotton mittens or gloves to sleep in? I know that works for eczema...

Octaviapink Sun 10-Jul-11 20:56:59

I think they'd be off her in a second, to be honest, though thanks for the idea.

swash Sun 10-Jul-11 21:00:12

I would put Sudocrem on it. Acts as a barrier, and seems to work for everything!

Octaviapink Sun 10-Jul-11 21:01:09

I'll give the Sudocrem a go - I'll sneak in now while she's asleep.

mistressploppy Sun 10-Jul-11 21:02:18

Maybe call the GP's and ask for a call back (where the GP phones you when he/she's free) so you can discuss - they can tell you whether you need to come in and have it looked at, and they might have some clever ideas.

I wonder if the GP should see it anyway, just in case its something else (cold sore, impetigo etc)

Dred Sun 10-Jul-11 21:05:56

My ds got a sore chin due to reflux which ended up being bleeding. I took him to the gp & he was prescribed steroid cream & a moisturiser which I had to use on him loads. It cleared it up, & whenever his chin got sore again i'd use the moisturiser to nip it in the bud. smile

midoriway Tue 12-Jul-11 22:31:11

Lanishoh nipple cream will heal any boy part prone to getting sucked, or dribbled on, not just nipples.

DD sucked her thumb so hard sometimes, it bled, cracked skin on her thumb and chin. A bit of leftover Lanisoh healed it in 2 days. It is the lanolin, it will heal skin even when the skin is damp, it is magic stuff.

midoriway Tue 12-Jul-11 22:32:09

body part, body part, gah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now