Talk

Advanced search

Inspiration need for food for 8mth DS

(12 Posts)
Chucklecheeks Sun 10-Jul-11 14:44:19

My mind has gone blank as to what I can give 8mth DS for meals. He won't have anything other than milk for breakfast. Have tried weetabix, fruit etc. I have been mashing veg etc but he seems to be coping with lumps now so need some ideas for cheap healthy meals for the whole family that he can have. I am not a very good cook at the best of times but I am sleep deprived and go back to work full time soon so they need to be quick and easy.
I think what I am asking is for someone to provide me with a complete meal plan and tell me how to make it. Is that wishful thinking?

Thanks CC

breatheslowly Sun 10-Jul-11 16:54:06

I'll be watching for ideas too, but one thing I would suggest is shreddies - DD picks these out of the bowl with her fingers and they are very soft once the milk has soaked in a bit.

triskaidekaphile Sun 10-Jul-11 17:00:34

I think he can have pretty much anything at 8 months. What do you usually like to eat? Casseroles, pasta, rice, roast dinner, bangers and mash, fish/cottage/shepherds pie, are all family staple type foods that he might enjoy.

triskaidekaphile Sun 10-Jul-11 17:03:50

quick/easy emergency food- scrambled/fried/boiled eggs and toast, omlettes, eggy bread, pasta and jarred pesto, baked beans on toast

Chucklecheeks Sun 10-Jul-11 20:12:27

Breatheslowly, shreddies sounds good, will get some tomorrow.
Trisk, we eat pretty much the same, I think the reason I can't think what to do is with my PFB I made her her own little meals as well as meals for me and DH. I look back now and think what the he'll was I doing!!!

Goldrill Sun 10-Jul-11 20:40:43

DD is 7 months and I am not overwhelmed with ideas but when I need to cop out I make a big batch of veg soup, bung some lentils or a tin of butter beans in, blend a bit and freeze in her food bowls. 2 mins in the microwave, cheese on top, bit of bread for dunking and we're there. She's also a huge fan of lentil dahl. I use those when we're having something she can't really have - too much salt or whatever.

Also make chicken stew quite a lot as that similarly no effort - fry chicken thighs till a bit brown, add an onion and a few sticks of celery, fry more till they're soft, fill pan with water to cover it all, add baby stock cube, boil. Peel some carrots and parsnips and bung in the bottom of a casserole dish, pour the pan on top and stick in the oven for an hour. Or two. and put some spuds in to bake at the same time. When you're ready for it thicken with cornflour, or the contents of a baked spud. Takes about 10 minutes and DP always looks bizarrely impressed!

Hope you get lots more answers as I need inspiration!

Octaviapink Sun 10-Jul-11 20:55:41

God, I'd love to know the answer. DS 7.5m won't take anything that involves a spoon so at the moment we're limited to what I can get onto a piece of toast or a ricecake/ pieces of cheese and veg etc. He had a go at a piece of turkey tonight and ate half a piece of pasta, but that's it. I can guarantee I'll be feeding him five times tonight.

lurcherlover Tue 12-Jul-11 21:13:30

Get the BLW cookbook from amazon (not the how-to guide, they do a separate cookbook). It has been my lifesaver! I cook so many meals from it and DH and I like them too. (I promise I am not Gill Rapley or anyone affiliated with BLW smile)

Goldrill Wed 13-Jul-11 10:31:51

ooh yes - the river cottage baby one is very good too!

Lainey1981 Wed 13-Jul-11 12:42:40

My ds is 7.5 months, and am prone to pfb separate meal making too. However, am trying to curb that now that he has shown he will eat pretty much anything.
Current favourites are baby pasta with tomato and veg sauce (i use passata, leek, spinach and courgette) then add a little apple to sweeten/ take the edge of the greens. V easy to batch cook and the sauce is lovely for us to eat too ( without apple) with a little seasoning.
Also baked sweet potatoes and butternut squash mash with a tiny bit of shredded chicken.
I have just introduced breakfast this week, but already feel stuck in a rut with baby porridge so no advice there, might try the shreddies as a pp suggested.
Also adding beans/lentils to things great way of bulking out a soup or sauce that you have made

Cies Wed 13-Jul-11 21:14:41

This isn't a meal plan by any means, but the most well-eaten meal I have put in front of my 19mo ds this week has been my "left-over and what's left in the fridge soup".

It took 20 minutes from start to table, and can be made without leftovers if you don't have any. It was potato, courgette, broccoli stalks, boiled in stock (could use water+stock cube) till soft. I blitzed this with some cooked steak left over from yesterday. Then I added some baked beans, fine soup noodles (really short ones that cook in two minutes) and finally some frozen peas to cool it all down, because by this stage he was hollering with hunger.

matana Thu 14-Jul-11 09:14:18

Eggs - scrambled with cheese, boiled, poached, with mayonnaise on bread etc. are so easy and very good for LOs.

Chicken and fish in either a tomato (either cut fresh or chopped tinned) sauce, or cheese sauce. You can also cunningly sneak in some vegetables that way. I do a really simple sauce from tinned toms, chopped onion, yellow pepper and mushroom. The cheese sauce is also dead easy. Both take 5-10 mins.

Spaghetti bolognaise is another fave and you can just put aside some of one you make for yourself, providing you don't add salt.

Pasta, rice or homemade mash included for some carbs.

Fish fingers, mash and baked beans is a good one. Or bangers and mash with low salt child-friendly gravy (Boots do appropriate stock cubes).

Banana and avocado require no prep but are meals in themselves if served with some bread or toast. You can add pear, banana or mango to weetabix or porridge to make it more appealing.

I generally go on the basis that anything we eat, my 8 month old DS can eat providing very low/no salt content and cut up small enough to manage. Finger foods are also good - my DS gets it into his head sometimes that he just doesn't want me to spoon feed him and is happy to pick at finger foods. This time of year you can eat in the garden and then the mess can just be swept onto the floor for the birds!

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now