Talk

Advanced search

My Children and eating.

(21 Posts)
GoggleEyed Sun 10-Jul-11 12:25:11

My children are constantly asking for food. Constantly. So DH saw the Supernanny technique of snack boxes. Three things a box per child then once it is gone, it is gone.

So, today they have had their usual breakfast of cereal, toast and a piece of fruit. For lunch they are currently eating pasta with a tomato sauce with mushrooms, bacon and onion (a massive bowl each). Tea will be roast with three vegetable minimum (not sure yet what, as DH is cooking). They have also had a yoghurt. So, I am happy that they are covering all the bases fruit/veg/fibre/carb/dairy wise.

Their snack boxes contained another piece of fruit, a snack bar and some mini marshmallows.

However, they have eaten it!! I am dreading the inevitable battle this afternoon as they will ask for snacks constantly. They would, btw, be able to have these without ruining their appetite for dinner, so I am inclined to give it to them. BUT DH says that we have to stick to the technique and they will learn. I did tell them that once they have eaten it there is no more. BUt I dont want them to be hungry either. We are going out to the park so that shall distract them for a good while, but they are used to grazing. (they usually eat 4 or 5 pieces of fruit a day shock and the grocery bill cant keep up!)

So, WWYD? Are they eating too much, not enough? They are active 5 and 6 yr olds that spend all day running around. They do swimming and scouts.

nethunsreject Sun 10-Jul-11 12:34:04

I'd reckon they are hungry between.

I'd add more carbs - an extra snack bar or a scone or pancake.

colditz Sun 10-Jul-11 12:38:05

If they aren't overweight and arefinishing their meals, and are still hungry, you need to give them more food.

TanteRosmerta Sun 10-Jul-11 12:39:19

or even a bit more protein...how about a hard-boiled egg, or some peanut butter as a dip for apple slices? cheese?

GoggleEyed Sun 10-Jul-11 12:39:23

Thanks for the responses. I do want to give them more, but DH is convinced they are eating too much. I will make some muffins or something this afternoon so it doesnt seem like I am backing down on the rules we set this morning!!

colditz Sun 10-Jul-11 12:40:00

See, I was going to suggest NO more carbs. Carbs go through kidsvery quickly, and givce them extra energy, but they aren't filling. I wasgoing to suggest a couple of strips of chicken, or some cheese, or ham, or a hardboiled egg, or PB buttie - a protein food

nethunsreject Sun 10-Jul-11 12:40:34

Crackers and cheese too.

My 5 yr old eats like a horse and is thin as a whippet.

colditz Sun 10-Jul-11 12:40:52

If they were eating to much they would be fat. Are they fat?

If not, then your husband needs to stop suggesting that you start underfeeding them for convenience.

naturalbaby Sun 10-Jul-11 12:48:55

if they are eating healthy stuff then i don't see the problem. i snack all day and am slightly underweight because i am very active.

you can't decide if your kids are really hungry, you have to decide based on what they say and their behaviour so i would go with your gut instinct.

nethunsreject Sun 10-Jul-11 12:49:24

Aye, carbs alone will not last, true.

Bit of protein good.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Sun 10-Jul-11 12:58:48

Yep, more protein. Breakfast - toast and boiled eggs, or baked beans, or cheese on toast, and fruit. Toast and cereal and fruit are all carbs. All of the things in your snack box are carbs as well - try slices of cheese or ham, a banana smoothie (milk is good), etc. Pasta is fine if breakfast/snacks have more protein, but at the moment they're only getting one meal a day which isn't mostly carb/veg.

Chandon Sun 10-Jul-11 13:00:08

I think it is good for children (and adults too) to be a bit hungry in between meals.

The idea that feeling a bit "hungry" (peckish, fancy something) needs to be remedied immediately is a new one.

My very active 6 and 8 year olds get breakfast, lunch and dinner and one morning snack (fruit, crackers, some cheese) and one after school snack (biscuit usually, and some squash).

Sometimes they are hungry in between meals, and I tell them ; "Good! Lunch is in an hour". They can eat as much as they like at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

that's my job done as far as I am concerned.

I actually think that the obesity crisis is the result of people thinking it is somehow bad to be "hungry" every now and that it is something that needs to be taken care off with a snack straight away.

Instant gratifaction culture and all that...

turCENSOREDss Sun 10-Jul-11 13:09:56

I am jealous! I wish my kids would eat like that!

Actually, you are giving them very carb heavy meals. I am overweight (obese) and have lost weight by replacing carbs with protein (unlimited). Protein is massively filling in comparison. For me, eating carbs just leads to massive carb binges and I never really feel satisfied. If your kids are not overweight and always hungry then they should get more food at mealtimes. It is not nice to feel hungry.

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 13:13:41

How old are they?

sugarrushed Sun 10-Jul-11 13:15:05

I have to say I agree with Chandon here. Surely its normal to feel a bit hungry between meals. My kids have three balanced meals a day and a couple of snacks but if I let them have something every time they said they were hungry they would literally eat all day long!!! The food that the OP is giving her kids seems like a good amount to me and I think the snack boxes seem like a good idea. In fact I think I may be stealing it ;)

TanteRosmerta Sun 10-Jul-11 13:15:21

OP says they are 5 and 6 (love your name, HK grin)

savoycabbage Sun 10-Jul-11 13:22:08

There is nothing wrong with being hungry though. I don't understand why people worry about it. I give my dc snacks if they have been swimming or something but not as an ordinary part of my day.

If my children tells they are hungry then I would say 'are you darling?' in the same way that I would if they were tired. I wouldn't whip out a camp bed.

Asinine Sun 10-Jul-11 13:22:35

Op it's sounds like they're good eaters. I would just stick to food at meal times and snack times, and stop worrying about snack boxes.

Chandon
I agree, there is nothing wrong with being hungry now and again. If breakfast is at 7ish, morning snack 10.30, lunch 1, snack after school 3.30, dinner at 6.30 no one is going to pass out through not eating.

The gut is not meant to be working all day, and food tastes better when tour hungry.

snicker Sun 10-Jul-11 13:25:19

Why does your DH think they are eating too much? Is it a health issue or a pita whining all the live long day for snacks issue?

If they are hungry but not fat then I would stick with the snack boxes and up the protein and possibly introduce elevenses or tea or supper. I can't abide asking for food constantly, my neighbours ds does it to he extent that my ds has started complaining to him that they never play anymore, they just talk about food.

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 13:33:38

Lol thanks Tante.....OP I have a 6 ear old DD and she is always eating....I try to fill her up with fruit but it doesn't always work and she wants heese or a peanut butter sandwich....I think as long as they're active and not overweight...they're self regulating. I try to make sure she has a lot of water though as it's easy to mistake thirst for hunger.

attheendoftheday Sun 10-Jul-11 14:46:31

My dd's a bit young for me to have any experience of this myself, but I thought that the Supernanny technique with the snack boxes was to have three things in the box to be eaten at three seperate snack times spaced out during the day, so they couldn't all be eaten at once (and the kids can chose what to eat when).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now