Talk

Advanced search

1/3 of a weetabix for breakfast, age 6?

(17 Posts)
BerylOfLaughs Fri 08-Jul-11 08:51:25

I childmind a girl who is 6 years old in the mornings before school and she eats less than 1 weetabix each morning. This morning she had only a third of a weetabix, some days more like half or two-thirds. She is very slim and her older brother (9) only eats one weetabix. My dd (5) eats 2!
I've asked them both if they are happy with the breakfast and they are, they have choice of other cereals but always choose weetabix.
They don't eat anything else before they come to me in the morning.

Is this a normal amount to eat? I am thinking of just mentioning it to their parents but don't want to fuss over nothing if it is quite usual.

throckenholt Fri 08-Jul-11 08:57:06

not normal for most kids. Would be normal for mine if I let them get away with it though. I try hard to encourage them to eat enough to keep them going until lunchtime but it isn't easy.

I would mention to the parents that she doesn't eat much for breakfast and can they do any thing to encourage her to have a decent breakfast.

SwearyMary Fri 08-Jul-11 09:01:00

I would be offering a plate of toast too, just put it on the table and let them help themselves. The fruit bowl would also be accessible.
That is a very small amount to eat, how well do they eat at other mealtimes? Are you sitting with them, so its a bit more of an occasion? Are they having a big drink before breakfast? Their little tummies might be full of liquid?
Definitely ask the parents what the children enjoy at home for breakfast and don't worry too much.

RitaMorgan Fri 08-Jul-11 09:02:58

Would she maybe eat a banana as well? My 11 month old has a whole weetabix and a banana for breakfast.

BerylOfLaughs Fri 08-Jul-11 09:04:23

Thanks. The two mindees, my DD and myself all sit down to eat breakfast together at the table. The girl is always last to finish and takes a long time to eat a small amount, but I don't put any pressure on her to eat more or hurry up. I'm happy to do toast too, will ask if she wants that in future.

Will let the mum know what's happening anyway in case she wants me to do something differently.

Thanks

Highlander Fri 08-Jul-11 15:59:57

if she's not been out of bed for too long, then she might not be hungry.

DS1 is never hungry when he gets up, but seems to have worked up an appetite about 40 mins later. I usually have a banana for the playground to top him up.

OneHundredPercentFucked Fri 08-Jul-11 16:00:48

My two year old has 3!

Morph2 Fri 08-Jul-11 23:22:31

My 14 month old has one weetabix and a banana. My mum looked after him overnight for the first time last weekend and fed him two as she wasn't sure what he normally had and he ate it plus a banana

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 08-Jul-11 23:24:54

My 7 year old eats two whole ones when he chooses weetabix. He is skinny.

SinicalSal Fri 08-Jul-11 23:28:49

I think as long as they're not filling up on junk instead of proper food, and are thriving they'll regulate their own portions.

Othersideofthechannel Sat 09-Jul-11 19:50:50

It's a normal breakfast portion for my DD who is 6. The other day she ate an apricot and drank a third of a mug of milk and was full. Her tummy wakes up later in the day!

jubilee10 Sat 09-Jul-11 19:51:53

Ds2 only ever ate 1/2 a weetabix for breakfast when he was younger. Ds3 has 1/2 a weetabix with strawberries and 1/2 a banana.

feckwit Sat 09-Jul-11 19:54:07

My 7 year old will only eat a tiny bit of breakfast.

asdx2 Sat 09-Jul-11 19:56:36

Dd 8 rarely manages one whole weetabix, but then she eats tiny portions anyway. She's small but growing so I don't tend to worry tbh.

petisa Sat 09-Jul-11 22:28:26

Wow my 3 year old eats 2, followed by 1 slice toast and fruit. 10 month old eats 1/2 to 2/3 of one. Both v slim. Kids must all be v different re what they eat.

nannynick Sat 09-Jul-11 22:52:41

Would having a plate of cut up fruit be worth trying... such that children can help themselves, even when not sitting at the table.

Snacking may not be that great but it is healthy at least.

BerylOfLaughs Sun 10-Jul-11 07:00:11

Thanks all, we are all very different. I texted the mum friday lunchtime and she hasn't bothered to reply yet so must be normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now