Talk

Advanced search

Jo Frost last night

(22 Posts)
megkat Thu 07-Jul-11 12:38:52

I loved this programme - such sensible, good advice.

And I must say i was appalled that 75% of children eat in front of the TV, and 25% in their rooms shock . Then felt pretty pleased with myself that 5/7 nights a week we all eat together, and the other 2 the girls still eat at the table.

I realise it's not always possible (in an ex shift worker myself) but still - it's such a shame that so many children are missing out on a vital element of family life sad

peedieworky Thu 07-Jul-11 20:03:07

I just loved wee George! What a cutie smile

DoraJarr Thu 07-Jul-11 20:03:44

oh god peopel do talk bollocks about food and meals

OhWhatNoooow Thu 07-Jul-11 21:49:33

what channel was it on?

pranma Thu 07-Jul-11 22:18:51

Channel 4 last night 8pm

RoundOrangeHead Fri 08-Jul-11 10:54:00

I never sat round the table growing up

we do sometimes now but not always

I have IMPECCABLE manners whilst eating

peggotty Fri 08-Jul-11 10:56:56

God. I hate this obsession with 'eating as a family'!! Why are you 'appalled' that kids eat in front of the tv. Mine do most weekdays and aren't running feral last time I looked. The jails would be empty if only they'd all eaten round a table with their families hmm

Jajas Fri 08-Jul-11 10:58:10

The Waltons didn't watch telly when they ate did they and look how they turned out..

drivinmecrazy Fri 08-Jul-11 10:58:59

I love us all sitting to eat together (maybe 5 nights a week). DH works long hours so we do eat late (between 6.30 &7), but it is the only time in the day we can actually all sit in the same place and chat. DDs are 5 1/2 & 10, so although it is late for them they get to talk to Daddy about their day. Also they both tend to eat the yucky things (veg) more happily than when they have their own tea earlier.

GoodListener Fri 08-Jul-11 11:19:57

I am a Mum of 3 grown up children and have childminded for 20 years I think SuperNanny is really good andd would help anyone would love to offer my help and assistance to young, isolated Mums out there I have a world of knowledge with babies an would pass on my wealth of knowledge and information . Does anyone know of any Volunteer projects for this? Or Volunteering helping midwifes I love babies and am really good with them
Ruth

RitaMorgan Fri 08-Jul-11 11:24:51

Maybe try HomeStart?

Octaviapink Fri 08-Jul-11 12:09:21

I don't think it's so much about your children 'running feral' or ending up in prison if you don't eat together as a family, so much as the fact that you're all missing out on something - especially them. Family mealtimes are a chance to catch up, find out what all the others have been doing, discuss things. Humans are social animals and eating together is an important way of strengthening bonds (who doesn't enjoy going out for a meal with friends?) - if you never eat with your children everyone's losing out.

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Fri 08-Jul-11 12:16:00

If 75% eat in front of the tv and 25% eat in their rooms is there not something wrong with that figure because that makes 100% confused so where is there room for the percentage of children that you are talking about that eat at the table.

We eat at the table incidentally but not always together every night it's not possible. We eat at the table to contain mess in one area more than anything else.
Growing up we never had room for a table when we moved into a flat and I am the (ok i'll admit it) snobbiest person I know about manners at a table.

RitaMorgan Fri 08-Jul-11 12:17:32

75% eat in front of the TV, of those 25% are eating in front of a TV in their room I think.

peggotty Fri 08-Jul-11 12:34:01

I know octavia, I just got the hump at some of the wording in the op. 'vital part of family life' or whatever it was and all the sad faces. Mine eat at a TABLE in front of the tv if that is any better wink. And obv we do make an effort at the weekend to eat together. (my dc have v early tea during the week).

Pootles2010 Fri 08-Jul-11 12:41:38

Erm not everyone has room for a dining table or even a kitchen table.

RoundOrangeHead Fri 08-Jul-11 13:16:29

I talk to my family ALL THE TIME

we don't use mealtimes to 'catch up'

megkat Mon 11-Jul-11 21:44:27

I make no apologies for saying vital part of family life - that's what I consider it to be - eating is a social activity, as well as a necessary one. And I at no point said that children are running feral or whatever; simply that in my house (where both parents work full time) mealtime is an important family time - and we use it as such.

Just because there is no room for a dining table it does not follow that you need to be staring at the screen while you're eating.

Round OrangeHead - I would say you are the exception, not the rule, imho. And you are very lucky if you get to talk to your family 100% of the time - which I do very much doubt......

RoundOrangeHead Tue 12-Jul-11 08:20:37

do you? maybe you should pop round some time

megkat Tue 12-Jul-11 16:22:53

Should I say - your family have no other interests? No sleep time? No hobbies? No time with relatives / friends / nursery / school? No work? To me that sounds unlikely hmm

RoundOrangeHead Tue 12-Jul-11 18:22:16

no we are attached to each other 24 hours a day
hmm
grin

peggotty Wed 13-Jul-11 14:48:51

Oh fgs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now