Talk

Advanced search

Lactose intolerant baby

(5 Posts)
niamh29 Wed 06-Jul-11 22:13:37

At 6 weeks DD3 had chronic diarrhoea, the doc checked her out and said she was healthy but we could try her on a lactose free formula (she never tested her) she has been doing really well on the lf formula but recently she's been quite constipated and it was making her uncomfortable, we thought this might be a sign that she was ready to move back to the normal formula but after 24 hours on the normal formula the diarrhoea returned, we've gone back to the lf formula but I hate all this chopping and changing. Anyone have any advice on lactose intolerance or even how to deal with the constipation if it returns (she's 15 weeks now)

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 07-Jul-11 09:56:12

I'd suggest reposting this on the breast and bottle feeding board as there will be people who have been through this and feeding experts there smile

susiesheep2 Tue 12-Jul-11 11:31:36

My daughter was intolerant to all formula feed, violent expolsive vomit and diarrhoea. She was even unable to eat baby foods with any sort of milk products in them. Oddly enough she was fine with breast milk! (breast milk also has lactose in) so what im saying it is might not be the actual lactose - i was told it was a latose intolerance at first, but clearly thats impossible.

Oddly enough, by the time she was weaned off the breast, (1yr) she has been totally fine with cows milk (drinks it by the bucket!) and all types of dairy products. So my only conculsion is there is something added in the baby milk which caused the upset. She was in hospital 3 times it was so serious, thick green bile both ends. Doctors still didnt have any idea what it could actually be, but rather than test things out further I just decided easier to avoid baby milk products and stick with breast feeding. (although to this date I have never had a clear indication from any expert what it could have been, apart from - lactose!!)

cheesebaby Tue 12-Jul-11 11:35:18

Cow's milk protein intolerance?

susiesheep2 Tue 12-Jul-11 12:03:04

cheesebaby ive not heard of that or have it mentioned, but it may well have been as it was just cows milk, or something used to make baby milks / foods. Luckily dd1 had totally outgrown it by age 1year, im expecting again soon though, so will remember what you called it just in case new baby is the same, thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now