Talk

Advanced search

Would you take your baby with D&V to playgroup?

(33 Posts)
HollyFP Wed 06-Jul-11 17:10:59

Would you take an 11 month old baby to play at a friend's house if they were recovering from D&V? If baby was still diarrhoea-y and came into close contact with other babies?

TubbyDuffs Wed 06-Jul-11 17:11:58

No because its unbelievably thoughtless!

pozzled Wed 06-Jul-11 17:12:53

Is this a trick question? Of course not.

MissTinaTeaspoon Wed 06-Jul-11 17:13:00

No I wouldn't, why would you?

ragged Wed 06-Jul-11 17:13:16

D isn't so contagious (and can be intermittant/unpredicatable/or one off), but vomitting would be an automatic out.

RitaMorgan Wed 06-Jul-11 17:14:16

Of course not.

3cutedarlings Wed 06-Jul-11 17:14:27

No, agree with tubbyduffs it is thoughtless!

HollyFP Wed 06-Jul-11 17:15:37

One of my friends brought her D&V baby to play at another friend's house today. Just wondered how bad manners it was or more importantly if my DD could catch it?

noblegiraffe Wed 06-Jul-11 17:16:42

The rules are that you wait until 48 hours after the last bout before bringing back to school/playgroups.

HollyFP Wed 06-Jul-11 17:17:32

The mum had been indoors for 2 days looking after her DS so needed to get out of the house. I only knew about it 5 mins before they arrived...not really chance to make my excuses! blush

HollyFP Wed 06-Jul-11 17:18:51

The last bout had been 3am this morning, until the D this afternoon. It was at a friend's house so no rules as such...

superjobeespecs Wed 06-Jul-11 17:20:39

gross!! how thoughtless to everyone elses wee ones!!

noblegiraffe Wed 06-Jul-11 17:21:22

You could all catch it. Sorry. How rubbish of your friend to put you all in that situation.

Bunbaker Wed 06-Jul-11 17:21:32

"The mum had been indoors for 2 days looking after her DS so needed to get out of the house."

I know what it feels like, but I'm afraid it goes with the territory. To echo other replies, it is unbelievably thoughtless and selfish to inflict her child's germs on everyone else. Nurseries and pre-schools don't have this 48 hour quarantine period for the fun of it.

TotalChaos Wed 06-Jul-11 17:24:20

No way.

TribbleWithoutACause Wed 06-Jul-11 17:25:52

Thats so thoughtless, can't believe it. It's so catching as well. Keep an eye on your LO's.

FreakoidOrganisoid Wed 06-Jul-11 17:26:30

No chance. If I needed to get out the house I'd go for a walk

HollyFP Wed 06-Jul-11 17:32:22

I did wonder if I was being a little pfb... I take DD places when she has a cold, but this is completely different, non?!
Could she catch it even if she didn't touch the D&V baby, or does there need to be contact to transmit it?

noblegiraffe Wed 06-Jul-11 17:38:24

It depends on what caused it as some bugs can be airborne. I'd wash thoroughly with soap and water and cross fingers!

xDoingmybestx Wed 06-Jul-11 18:00:11

No, but many people are very selfish and do. I've met people out with their LO when they have had chickenpox, hand, foot and mouth etc and they are still at the contagious stage. shock All some people do is think about themselves!

Broadwalkempire Wed 06-Jul-11 18:13:18

No I wouldn't - no -one would thank me for it when they're then stuck at home with their own puking /diarrhoea kids. It's hideous. I've had two horrible bouts of it with my two and it's miserable. Why would you do that. It's just selfish IMO. If you're climbing the walls, it's summer, get the buggy and go for a nice walk remembering to take a change of clothes with you just in case.....grin

fuzzpig Wed 06-Jul-11 18:21:03

No I wouldn't, that's really horrible. Babies can be incredibly ill from a simple D&V bug - my DD at 17m was in hospital on a drip as it led to dehydration. It was terrifying, and it unsurprisingly made my emetophobia worse!

It sucks of course, having to be housebound, but it's only a few days FFS.

You may well get it. You might want to invest in some dioralyte (or the Boots version which is just as good) and a syringe if your baby is very young.

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 06-Jul-11 18:24:44

My friend brought her DS round to our babygroup coffee at mine while he still had the D, and had only just stopped the V! It was 6 yrs ago now, and I can still remember being up ALL night with my DS pooing violently and puking equally so. Every one of the babies there caught it. They were about 10mths old at the time. Not good.

ragged Wed 06-Jul-11 18:28:57

The odds are high that your DD will get it, OP. I think all you can do is observe very strict hygiene around her for the next 3 days. The only thing worse than her getting this bug is if you get it too!
I said that D on its own was iffy because the thing about diarrhea is that it can be so common & sporadic with very LOs, but any hint of vomit <<Shudder>> ... well, just hope the lady who brought her sickie child along gets it herself and then realises in future what an eejit she's was today.

HollyFP Wed 06-Jul-11 18:30:37

Oh crap, now am worried sad angry

And angry that it's too late to say anything to the mum of the sick baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now