Talk

Advanced search

What do I do?

(10 Posts)
ClarasMummy Wed 06-Jul-11 15:01:52

Due to being in hospital, moving around a lot and struggling with some mental health problems for the last year I didn't get around to registering my DD for school or a free nursery place.
I called and asked about it, they have basically said it's unlikely they'll be able to find her a place in either.
I'm not sure what the process is if there aren't any places available at school. We aren't able to move.
I feel useless and like I have totally failed DD sad.

Does anyone know what happens if she can't be found a place?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryma Wed 06-Jul-11 16:48:38

Just go to school and ask for application form for nursery

TheOriginalFAB Wed 06-Jul-11 16:54:24

How old is your daughter?

ClarasMummy Wed 06-Jul-11 17:14:22

She's 3.

They're sending me a form but they've said it's very unlikely they'll be able to find her a place.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 06-Jul-11 17:58:20

Unless she is 4 before 31st August she won't go to school until 2012 anyway.

ClarasMummy Wed 06-Jul-11 18:21:44

I know but they've told me it's unlikely she will get a place in 2012. She was due to start nursery in September but thanks to me I doubt she will be.

I feel utterly crap about it.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 06-Jul-11 18:29:39

She doesn't have to go to nursery and a lot can happen in a year.

BlueberryPancake Wed 06-Jul-11 21:12:08

Please don't feel crap. These things happen. She won't miss out don't worry. I actually regret having sent my oldest son early to pre-school - he would have been absolutely fine staying with me a bit longer and joining the other kids Reception.

Fill in the form, call the schools, you could also ask for some help from your council (maybe FIND - which borough are you in?)
Ask for your DS to be put on a waiting list for a pre-school of your choice. Call them once in a while to see how the waiting list is and see if she can join during the school year. People move, take their kids out, you might still have a chance if that's what you want.

don't miss the deadline for school application though, that's a lot more critical.

monkoray Wed 06-Jul-11 21:16:44

First of all don't beat yourself up about it, i am 100% sure you are not the only mum out there in this situation.
Your post concerned me so i did a bit of googling (and roped in DH too) to see if i could find out anything useful.
My suggestion would be to fill in the forms as soon as you get them and apply to the schools of your choice.
Best senario is that the person who told you your DD was unlikely to get a place was just being a jobsworth and that there is still time and you get a place - most of the websites seem to say the school application cut off is the Autumn of the year before she is due to go, so assuming she is due to start school in September 2012 that would suggest you still have a few months to go before doors start to close. You may not get your first choice of school but you should still get a place.
If no school accepts your DD for the September 2012 term you have a "right of appeal against a refusal of a school place which is heard by an independent panel established by the LEA or the school governing body" according to DirectGov (the government website).
So even if you don't instantly get a place you can still appeal.

And if you still don't get a place for your DD even after an appeal there are still alternatives. You should check out the Home Education thread on here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/home_ed
And if Home Education seems like a possibility check out Education Otherwise which is an organisation that could help get you started. www.education-otherwise.net/

With regard to the nursery place I suggest you just call round the local nurseries and check whether they have any spaces - explain what's happened and you might get lucky. Lots of nurserys have some days that are busier than others. if you can be flexible you may get a spot even now.

But if you don't find DD a place don't worry, every thing she would learn at nursery you can teach her at home, and she'll love spending time with you. There are some great websites that can give you really good ideas for things to do with a 3 year old to bump start their education. Have a look at
www.theimaginationtree.com/
theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/search/label/36%20months
1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/2008/04/tot-school_27.html

And you can join activity groups so that your DD still gets to play with other children her own age.

You must feel very low right now but all is not lost. Good luck.

ClarasMummy Thu 07-Jul-11 13:13:52

Thank you so much for all your replies, they've really helped.

Monkoray, thank you! It was so nice of you to go to so much trouble to help, I've been such a mess recently but they've called this morning with a nursery place 10 minutes away which is such a relief. She has no friends to play with her own age and I've been awful about getting her to groups (agoraphobia) but I've recently started to and I think nursery will be really good for her.

I'll get right on what you suggested with regard to schools.

Thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now