Talk

Advanced search

My only friend is my daughter

(13 Posts)
miserrima Tue 05-Jul-11 22:10:09

I took my 21 month old daughter to the park the other day and every time another kid came near her she burst into tears and clung to me until they went away. I told my husband about it later that night and said I was worried that she has nothing close to a friend and then he pointed out that I'm just as bad. Before my daughter was born I went out all the time and had tons of friends, now the only people I see every day is those 2. Any advice? I'm still quite young and it just doesn't seem right.

winnybella Tue 05-Jul-11 22:15:11

It owuld be weird if a 21-month old had a friend grin Don't worry, withing a few months she'll start interacting more with other children.

And if you are happy with the way things are then there isn't a problem- perhaps it would be good for you to see a friend once in a while, but there's no rule that just because you're young you need to go out a lot. Have you got a close friend or two you could meet for a drink or a coffee or have you lost contact with them?

miserrima Tue 05-Jul-11 22:17:36

Lost contact with pretty much all my friends, they went off to uni and I stayed behiind to get married and have a baby. I'm not miserable with the way things are, I just wish I had someone to talk to sometimes or just to get out of the house and not be a mum all day every day.

threefeethighandrising Tue 05-Jul-11 22:18:32

I moved to a new town last year and we knew absolutely no one here. I've met some really nice mums through (shh!) the meet-a-mum boards.

The mumsnet meetups are great, but they tend to be groups, which is good fun but another kind of thing IMO. The Netmums boards are good for actually meeting other mums to hang out with as you meet just one at a time (at first anyway!) for a coffee and a chat to see if you and your DCs get on.

It's a but like dating I guess but much less pressured smile

I now have met a few lovely mums who I meet up with regularly and are becoming good friends.

miserrima Tue 05-Jul-11 22:23:07

Thanks, that sounds really good smile

I think one of my problems is that since I'm only 21 the majority of people my age with kids are quite chavvy whereas I'm not, I'm married and my daughter was planned lol smile

FloydieDoydie Wed 06-Jul-11 11:46:03

Do you go to Mum&Tots or similar activities? A good way to meet other mums and at least there is always a topic of conversion (DCs) to get things going and once you've met a few nice people you can suggest meeting for a coffee? smile

miserrima Wed 06-Jul-11 11:53:58

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea smile

Ryma Wed 06-Jul-11 16:51:17

Why dont you go out anymore? You should call your friends and your DH stay with DC.

ShushBaby Wed 06-Jul-11 17:36:19

You might find you have more in common with the 'chavvy' mums than you think. I've found having a child allows me to talk to and get on with all kinds of people that I may never have spoken to otherwise.

Lexiejack Mon 11-Jul-11 10:55:04

Where do u live? I'm in exactly the same position and it's horrible! Toddler groups scare me as I never no how to start a conversation blush socially awkward

threefeethighandrising Mon 11-Jul-11 18:01:29

I'm very confident and I find toddler groups a nightmare to make friends at!

They're good to go to for DS, and they're good places to go with a friend, or to arrange to meet someone new. But I've completely given up on them as a way to meet other mums.

Roo83 Mon 11-Jul-11 20:22:22

I would recommend playgroups....we have quite a few church run groups round here that are lovely. They are generally very friendly, and all you need is to make one friend. Once you have someone you can meet for coffee, park, soft play etc. other friends will soon follow!

smearedinfood Mon 11-Jul-11 22:29:22

Just keep going to play groups regularly. I moved to a new town, it did take me 6 months but I went out to lunch with 5 mummies last Friday. There will be someone who you will be able to chat with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now