Talk

Advanced search

Birthday Party Etiqutte?

(18 Posts)
EmmaPW Tue 05-Jul-11 17:05:01

Do we let the birthday boy open his presents in front of people? I thought yes what fun - but people keep telling me its bad etiquette?

ExitPursuedByAKitten Tue 05-Jul-11 17:06:48

Ooh no. We usually do it when everyone has gone home - maybe just one friend left who is staying over. It is then easier to make a list of who gave what so you don't do any inappropriate recycling of gifts.

threefeethighandrising Tue 05-Jul-11 17:10:26

I would say yes do open your presents in front of people. Part of the pleasure of giving is seeing the recipient open it, surely?

And it will give your DS a chance to learn the custom of pretending you like presents you hate saying thank you smile

I would think it was weird if someone took a present from me at a birthday party and didn't open it.

EmmaPW Tue 05-Jul-11 17:29:25

I have this image of him opening things and saying "what have you bought me that for?" or "that's rubbish!"

Still - it would stop people buying crap presents !!!

kitbit Tue 05-Jul-11 17:37:15

How old is he and how many kids? Makes a slight difference imo smile

yousankmybattleship Tue 05-Jul-11 17:40:15

We've always opened them later. Partly because it easier to keep them organised and make a thank you list and partly because I'm terrified of the honesty of children who are more than capable of saying they've already got/hate/don't need something. We usually open presents the next day.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 05-Jul-11 17:44:31

Every party DD has ever been to, the presents are never opened on the spot. They are kept till afterwards to be opened in an orderly fashion with parent making a list of who sent what so that you or child (depending on age) can write thank-you notes.

Avoids tricky moments when 3 people have given child the same thing, or an innocent mother-of-boys has bought pink clothes that a DD couldn't help going [hm] at grin

EmmaPW Tue 05-Jul-11 17:56:11

It's his third birthday party. There will be about five kids there.

woopsidaisy Tue 05-Jul-11 18:17:20

If it is family, GPs etc I let them open their gifts in front of them.
However if it is a 'kiddies" party,then definitely don't open until later.
He may want to play with something he has unwrapped-or the visitors might!
And at that age that can result in meltdown.
I do as Grimma said above.

Bouviergirl Wed 06-Jul-11 13:38:02

We open. Also 3yo. Part of the party fun is opening the presents. Other children want to help rip paper off. Guests who have given presents want to be involved and see dc's pleasure and excitement. We thank them there and then, and also send a follow-up note. Never been a problem at ours or others who also do this.

EssexGurl Wed 06-Jul-11 14:54:54

Only for family do's. For big parties then the presents get piled up in the corner and opened at home. As a pp has said, that way you can get a proper list of who has given what and also avoid any scenes if they don't like it. My 2 love opening presents and it takes hours as they both like to play with toys / try on clothes etc. Very sweet but you do need a stiff gin to get through it sometimes!!

Eglu Wed 06-Jul-11 14:58:15

Since it is a small party, then yes it is fine. Bigger parties it's a no though as the child will want to play with toys and can't, or other children will want to play with them etc, and it will become a nightmare.

elphabadefiesgravity Wed 06-Jul-11 15:18:48

We don't open. tried it once when I was new at this kids parties lark and I didn't know who bought what.

Unless you are absolutely sure that no-one will have bought duplicate presents and your child will not say I don't like that I like Ben10 instead of Star Wars and he then won't want to start opening packages and playing with the stuff then wait until later.

Ryma Wed 06-Jul-11 16:49:45

No way, better at home

Roo83 Thu 07-Jul-11 11:40:32

At 3 I'd save them-ds was so overwhelmed with presents on his bday we ended up spreading them over a few days. With presents from us, aunties and uncles, gp's etc. it was just too many for him to get through as he likes to get each thing out of the box. Just make a list of he gave what so you can thank them. I also have taken photos of ds with the toy and text them to my friends so they can see him enjoying it.

UniS Fri 08-Jul-11 20:14:49

justa few friends over to play type party- yes,

invite the whole class to bounce round village hall type party- no.

neolara Fri 08-Jul-11 20:38:30

No, no, no! It'll be a disaster. Honest. Every time we've seen it happen it's been horrible. Even when it works OK for the majority of presents you are likely to have at least one "I don't like that" / "I've got that already" which is quite frankly, embarrassing for all concerned.

eandemum Fri 08-Jul-11 22:29:57

No Way - could be disastrous! The other children will all want tp play with the new stuff - bits will go missing, giver (if too young) may not know what the present is and then complain that they want it! (Have seen this happen!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now