Talk

Advanced search

Newborn days: what couldn't you have lived without?

(32 Posts)
ShushBaby Tue 05-Jul-11 13:57:00

My friend is pregnant and I want to put together a care package for after the baby is born, to make that chaotic newborn bit more comfortable. Problem is, it's all such a haze for me now (dd is only 17mo but somehow I still can't remember a lot of it!), that I'm struggling to think of things to go in it!

A thermos mug is a definite. Mine was amazing, as the cold cups of tea would push me over the edge at times!

Any other thoughts? Things that help make night feeds/endless breastfeeding/tiredness nicer?

Thanks in advance.

minibmw2010 Tue 05-Jul-11 14:27:44

I would give things like Muslims, bibs, nipple cream if you know she's going to b'feed, infacol (for wind) and maybe some nice bath things for her?

minibmw2010 Tue 05-Jul-11 14:29:11

Obviously that should read MUSLINS, doh ... Blooming predictive text blush

ShushBaby Tue 05-Jul-11 14:32:10

grin minibmw- oops

Nipple cream- yes! Lansinoh was fantastic, and bloody expensive so good to get it as a present.

I want everything to be for her rather than baby, as she will get loads of baby stuff presumably.

moonbells Tue 05-Jul-11 14:35:04

A nice notebook. You say you can't remember much about the first few weeks. I can't either - but I did jot down my feelings in a notebook about becoming a mother, often while feeding at 3am, and I can read them now and sniffle have my memory jogged.

ShushBaby Tue 05-Jul-11 14:36:05

Great idea moonbells

purplepidjin Tue 05-Jul-11 14:37:22

Sainsbury's has got half price on stuff like Lansinoh and nipple pads at the moment. I'm on standby as my mate was due last Tuesday (no news yet) and i go past our local one once a week.

I've also promised to do a couple of supermarket shops for her, and to take turns watching baby in the shallow end while we swim (we try to meet to go regularly and she has said she wants to continue)

According to her, the best thing i've done is ask how she is and not commented on the bump! (I'm very new to this, I'm not a mum and she's the first of my close friends to get pg!) Also, I've been very straight that I won't be in touch until she contacts me. I'll be chuffed to bits if that's within a week of the birth, and will also be chuffed to bits if thats in 2 months time. Takes the pressure off - you know what people are like for crawling all over fb/msn/texting you to see if you're in labour yet!

I've also promised handmade baby clothes to her specs - one pair of crocheted baseball not Converse at all oh no bootees is already in her possession grin

tigana Tue 05-Jul-11 14:37:27

lansinoh
thermos
eye mask to aid "napping while the baby sleeps" <<cynical snort>> (sorry that just slipped out)
chocolates
lactulose?

ShushBaby Tue 05-Jul-11 14:54:09

Great suggestions- keep them coming!

Eye mask good idea

Chocolates are a good thought but she is health freak- will probably go for nuts or similar.

Am also going to take them cold meals- salads, roast chicken, cheese, crackers etc or meals to warm up. The best new-baby present we got was a home made lasagne for the oven!

purplepidjin Tue 05-Jul-11 15:14:19

For a health freak who needs to keep their energy up, how about a graze box?

ShushBaby Tue 05-Jul-11 15:45:52

Ooh yes a graze box- or my own cheapo home made version of same- would be great.

missnevermind Tue 05-Jul-11 15:52:15

Purplepidjin, can I say about not contacting her, dont leave it all to her as she may think that you dont care, dont want to know, in the baby blur she may forget if you have agreed this.
Send her texts that dont need to be answered, just so she knows you are their.

akaemmafrost Tue 05-Jul-11 15:55:34

Eye mask is a great idea actually. I only recently started using one and as a life long insomniac it has literally changed my life.

Just saying.

purplepidjin Tue 05-Jul-11 16:01:36

It's something we've discussed, but I don't actually think it'll be that long. We've got a plan to fit in a swim in about a month, because with my shifts the way they are at the moment, that's the next convenient time. So I'll text her a day or two before to see if she's still on for it.

She has a large, very caring family who she feels a bit overwhelmed by at times wink as well as a fair few busybody colleagues. I'll be sticking a parcel of lansinoh etc through her letterbox at some point in the next week or two just so she knows' i'm still about grin

noblegiraffe Tue 05-Jul-11 17:32:02

Jelly babies. I was powered by them for the first few weeks.

Niccc123 Tue 05-Jul-11 18:37:47

My little one is 3.5 weeks old. One of the best investments my hubby bought me was a sports drinks bottle I could fill with water and have to hand whenever greedy guts wanted to chow down. I get so thirsty as soon as DS latches on and I'm not quite experienced enough yet to handle baby and a glass of water at the same time. The bottle was easy to drink from and I didn't have to worry about spillages.

Pussinflatboots Tue 05-Jul-11 18:46:53

Lavender oil for the bath.

Tolalola Tue 05-Jul-11 19:02:13

Hmm I'm sort of there at the momnet (dd is nearly 2 weeks old) and I'd say one thing that I am loving having is nice 3 in 1 face cleansing cloths.

I don't have a lot of time (also have a 3.5 yr old) and it's nice to be able to give a quick swipe over and feel less grubby!

Jcee Tue 05-Jul-11 20:29:22

Hand cream - I seemed to constantly have my hands in water in the early days

NotJoiningIn Tue 05-Jul-11 20:38:46

Someone couriered us a massive tin of all different kinds of muffins, cupcakes and cookies. DH and I thought it was the best thing we had ever had!

I agree with handcream, bath stuff, 3 in 1 cleanser cloths and home cooked meals!

monkoray Tue 05-Jul-11 21:01:18

Shushbaby you sound like a creative person, maybe you could make her something like this
uk.ebid.net/for-sale/t-v-remote-control-holder-holds-6-remotes-35612390.htm?from=googlebase
It used to drive me nuts when i sat down to BF and discovered the remote controls were all over the room and out of reach.
We also had an itzbeen which is way easier than having to write down when you have fed, when baby has slept etc. Lots of people scoff at the idea and yes it is for the very lazy, but when you have baby brain pushing a button is easier than finding a pen and keeping a log www.monitormybaby.co.uk/products/Luvion-Itzbeen-Baby-Minder-Alarm.html

Newbabynewmum Tue 05-Jul-11 21:38:46

Spray in shampoo. Sounds gross. But somedays a shower seems an impossible task. Would be top of my list!

pleasethanks Wed 06-Jul-11 10:35:14

Some nice face wipes for her and I never got a chance to properly clean my face and they made me feel a bit better!!

Maybe one of those travelling drinking flasks, but you drink out of, as they are easier to keep lying next to you on the sofa.

A dvd box set.

ShushBaby Wed 06-Jul-11 10:38:15

Face wipes, hand cream, dry shampoo: yes, yes and yes.

All of these things were life/sanity savers! It was that long ago only 17 months ago but it's all coming back to me...

allhailtheaubergine Wed 06-Jul-11 10:43:08

Oaty flapjacks (pref home made) (oats are good for getting your milk going)
Lansinoh
Pretty muslins
Crappy magazines
A thoughtful card with a heartfelt message
lip balm
A shepherds pie to put in the freezer
A lend of some dvds?

Also like the nice notebook and pen idea (for when she insanely jots down the start time and finish time of every feed and sleep and poo --like we all did--)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now