Talk

Advanced search

my 14 yr old

(11 Posts)
Jreng27 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:57:46

My 14 yr old is driving me mad. She wants a lie in every saturday and sunday - as long as it suits her. She's sulky and miserable and slams doors all the time. She's on the laptop or phone permanently. Please someone reassure me that this is normal!!!

monkoray Sun 03-Jul-11 23:00:57

When I was 14 I would often sleep in until 2.30 pm. I was genuinely tired. I didn't slam doors though and wasn't sulky. But I wasn't hassled for sleeping in. Could they be related? - is she not allowed to sleep in and therefore tired and grumpy?

monkoray Sun 03-Jul-11 23:02:55

Sorry just realized how that reads, I didn't mean to imply that you hassle your daughter

potsandpans Mon 04-Jul-11 10:10:31

<cough> I'm 32 and enjoy lie-ins and can be sulky and miserable sometimes. And I'm at my PC or phone constantly.

Sorry, but I think it's very normal! (and she won't necessarily grow out of it grin)

Emzar Mon 04-Jul-11 10:21:15

I remember reading somewhere that the physical and mental changes teenagers go through take up so much energy that the huge amounts of sleep they often need is natural, not just being lazy!

Jreng27 Thu 07-Jul-11 21:29:46

OK so maybe I'm over-reacting, but I was never like that as a teenager so I find it difficult to let her be like that. I think I need to make sure she gets to sleep earlier so that she's not so tired - Im a big believer in getting enough sleep.

cybboid Thu 07-Jul-11 21:34:20

You can parent the amount of time she is on her lap top- we do an hour after school and then it goes off unless for homework. I wouldnt see her except at mealtimes otherwise

mumeeee Thu 07-Jul-11 23:05:13

It's normal and teenagers really do need to lie in at weekends.

tiredmomma Thu 07-Jul-11 23:10:12

Once she is active in her waking hrs and making the most of the time I would let her off, to be honest I love the fact that my teenager sleeps in at the weekend- the peace and quiet is bliss wink

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 08-Jul-11 09:00:24

My 10YO is in bed at the moment. It is 10.00 in Belgium.

Danthe4th Fri 08-Jul-11 09:05:08

Sounds normal, my 14 year old is driving me nuts with her blackberry and bbming all her friends ALL the time, all I can hear is the clicking of her phone. She never really wants to talk much in the house but if we go out in the car or for a walk she's fine. Why not invite her out for lunch with a friend it will get her up and out for a bit of girly chat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now