Talk

Advanced search

Sport for teeny kids

(7 Posts)
Stre55ed Sun 03-Jul-11 21:50:45

My DD is 7 - and tiny.

She does gym - but has problems like the vault is too high.
Plays tennis - but the rackets are so huge for her (even the teeniest ones)

Any suggestions as to which sports are best for the vertically challenged (she loves sports - but is starting to realise the limitations her height gives compared to her peers - and her enjoyment for sport is starting to wane)

mumtoone Sun 03-Jul-11 22:02:31

What about swimming or some sort of dancing.

Stre55ed Sun 03-Jul-11 23:01:06

Thanks for this.
She currently swims and dances recreationally and whilst is the weeniest in her classes - she can hold her own (bless - swam 150m last week - which seems so far for her when the others in her class are twice her size!)
Ideally she'd like to do something competitively - not sure if team-based or not. Wasn't sure if judo might be worth a go - as I think you do this by weight (so presumeably size?) as you get better??

JamieJay Sun 03-Jul-11 23:07:06

DH did judo as a kid (moved onto other martial arts which he still does now) and says that when competing it is done by weight, and if she was quick and flexible she could have an advantage bring slightly smaller as she would be able to get in under people's guard.

sundew Sun 03-Jul-11 23:10:47

My dd1 is very small for her age and does gymnastics. It did take longer for her to get the hang of the vaulty than others in her group - but it more to do with the speed of the run up than the height of the child.

If she enjoys gym I would encourage her to stick with it. It is a fantastic sport for strength and flexibility.

PippiLongBottom Sun 03-Jul-11 23:18:13

My friends dd is teeny. She is 8 and wears 2-3 clothes (they are a bit short). The only organised sport she does is jujitsu. My dd is fairly small, she is 9.5 and in the 3 stones. She does cheerleading and gymnastics. She loves cheer because she is one of the flyers at the forefront of the routines. Yes ability helps, but being small is also a positive.

UniS Mon 04-Jul-11 23:23:31

bizarrely- Hockey. Small players can get in under taller players arms ( and under the Radar in terms of being spotted and marked) and CAN be very effective tacklers. Obviously this is a sport for the not terrified of tackling bigger kids teeny child...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now