Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help a novice with advice of kids being picked on.

(6 Posts)
nethunsreject Sat 02-Jul-11 20:04:16

My 5 yr old isn't very street wise, to put it mildly. He is outgoing and thinks everyone is nice.
We live in a 'nice' area. However, some of the other people here think they are something special and this attitude is passed on to their kids, one or two of whom are, frankly, little shits at times.
My kid ain't perfect and I am sure he nnoys the hell out some of the older kids, as young ones do, but I am rather fed up of them doing that subtle but nasty picking on him and laughing at him for how he talks/what he says, etc.

Today, I overheard a slightly older kid getting him to say 'amusing' things and laughing at him WHILE HIS PARENTS LISTENED ON AND LET HIM.

I am not happy.

What would you do in this situation?

nethunsreject Sat 02-Jul-11 20:49:54

takeonboard Sat 02-Jul-11 22:04:32

I have experienced this too, sorry I have no advice but hope someone comes along with some words of wisdom soon. Trouble is if it isn't nippped in the bud they all join in and then it can get quite nasty.
Why does naivety make kids a bully target?

nethunsreject Sun 03-Jul-11 08:11:49

Thanks, takeonboard.

Yes, I agree, naivety does make people a target. I was bullied myself so I am very aware of thinkgs like this.

Luckily, my boys are not going to the local school, but to the church school a few miles away. They are well known and liked (and fit in well) with their friends at church. I am relieved about this.

takeonboard Sun 03-Jul-11 09:27:37

I'm glad school is not an issue.
Do you know the parents well enough to have a casual word, perhaps say that their child may not realise but his teasing is really huting your son? Or is there a kinder older kid who you could ask to look out for him.
It may be time to let your DS know that not everyone is nice and that it is ok to say NO if someone asks him to do or say something he doesn't feel comfortable with. You could try explaining the difference between laughing at and laughing with - hard to understand at 5 though!

nethunsreject Sun 03-Jul-11 18:51:38

Yeah, he is getting the idea now that some people are not very nice!

The parents think their kid can do no wrong unfortunately. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now