Talk

Advanced search

6 week old sounds congested??

(9 Posts)
minibmw2010 Sat 02-Jul-11 11:06:52

My DS 6 weeks sounds really congested when he sleeps, really mucasy and specially when I'm trying to wind him during and after feeding (formula baby), yet he seems really well in himself, no other signs of a cold. Has anyone else had this?

Primafacie Sat 02-Jul-11 15:10:17

Does he have a fever? If so I would get him checked tbh. If not, maybe raise it at his 8-week check up?

Octaviapink Sat 02-Jul-11 15:11:30

My DS had and has this (now 7-coming-up-8 months). It used to wake him in the middle of the night struggling to breathe through his nose. The HV told me not to bother the doc about it but to get some nasal drops. Supposedly in newborns it's because there's birth-mucus still clogging up their passages, but as it's been going on so long with DS I'm taking him to the doctor. He still sounds incredibly snuffly when he breathes and sometimes seems not to be able to breathe out at all when feeding.

missingmyflatbelly Sat 02-Jul-11 17:46:59

Nasal drops should do the trick-we had the same when ds was born- but like octaviapink says if it goes on too long go to dr.

missingmyflatbelly Sat 02-Jul-11 17:47:35

Nb the nasal drops may also be known as saline drops

Octaviapink Sat 02-Jul-11 19:11:53

I'd recommend a squirty/spray version as well. The drops always tended to trickle down the back of DS's throat and sometimes made him sick.

minibmw2010 Sun 03-Jul-11 01:06:53

Ok, thank you all, I'll try and get some drops tomorrow plus we have a HV appointment Monday. I definitely think he sounds worse over the last few days and is really slow eating too, no wonder when he's all bunged up sad

gillybeanmum Sun 03-Jul-11 17:38:42

Our son is 5weeks old and is also congested when he lies down after feeds, especially at night. We thought he might have acid reflux and took him to the doctor who agreed and gave him infant gaviscon. His "congestion" is the acid/milk coming up and lingering in his passages. Now we keep him upright for a while after feeds and elevate the head of the cot. The combination of everything helps him a lot and he doesn't make so many of the horrendous noises he used to. Might be worth checking out the symptoms of reflux to see if he has any of them.

minibmw2010 Tue 05-Jul-11 13:07:19

Thanks all for your help, I bought the nasal spray yesterday and it does seem to be helping. Have the plunger thingy to try out on him later. He went to sleep in his crib ok last night (we'd raised it slightly) but after his 1am feed wouldn't settle so we put him in his bouncy chair which is more raised and he was fine. Hopefully the spray combined with the plunger will do the trick and he'll sleep better tonight smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now