Talk

Advanced search

Getting calcium into milk allergy child

(13 Posts)
Hoopsadazy Fri 01-Jul-11 20:50:28

DS is now on oat milk every morning with cereal, but we're supposed to try for at least 2 portions a day. Now it's getting warmer, trying to get custard into him is harder.

So, who has an idea of what to do to get it in him?

Milkshakes are not really his thing and I though ice-lollies would be good but at 2 he's a bit wary of freezy cold things.

TheLemur Fri 01-Jul-11 21:32:11

sardines have calcium in them (in the bones)

mathanxiety Fri 01-Jul-11 21:39:58

Have you tried calcium fortified fruit juice? Have a look at this site for recipes. You may be able to use oat milk in baking recipes.

Can he cope with sheep or goat cheese?

Look for products that are calcium fortified, but check with the manufacturer to find out the origin of the calcium.

You may need top resort to calcium supplements.

Is he getting enough Vitamin D too? Unless he is outdoors a good deal, he may become deficient in Vit D.

Here's a list of alternative sources of calcium from this blog:
Steamed broccoli: 80 mg calcium per cup
8 oz. calcium-fortified orange juice: 300 mg calcium
8 oz. fortified soy, rice or almond milk: 200-300 mg calcium
2 Tbsp almond butter: 100 mg calcium
4 oz firm tofu: 230 mg calcium
1/2 cup dried figs: 140 mg calcium
1/2 cup cooked collard greens: 180 mg calcium
2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses: 280 mg calcium
1 cup cooked amaranth: 150 mg calcium
1 packet fortified instant oatmeal: 100-150 mg calcium

Almond butter is delicious imo. You can spread it on toast along with a little jam (or without) -- very tasty either way. You can incorporate some of the items on the list into baked goods. Collards are probably not available in the UK and not too appetising anyway imo. You can put tofu into a lot of different dinners and disguise it in many ways.

Hoopsadazy Fri 01-Jul-11 21:41:38

He does eat sardines, but I was thinking more something made with the milk

thisisyesterday Fri 01-Jul-11 21:43:59

tofu? green leafy veg? dried apricots i think, strangely, and chickpeas and lentils

thisisyesterday Fri 01-Jul-11 21:45:01

oooh i forgot anbout molasses. nom nom nom

for other milky things... rice pudding (and you can bulk up calorie-wise by adding coconut milk and ground almonds)- in fact, and milk pudding (semolina, flaked rice erc)

quiches?

Ixia Fri 01-Jul-11 21:51:08

DD loves the chocolate Oatly milk, would drink it all day and it's fortified with calcium.It can also be heated as hot chocolate. Also check the calcium content of various mineral waters, some are quite high.

Some ideas here.....

www.nnuh.nhs.uk/viewdoc.asp?ID=752&t=Leaflet

Ixia Fri 01-Jul-11 21:52:53

Oh and Oatley has a recipe section on their website.

www.oatly.co.uk/Recipes/

Hoopsadazy Fri 01-Jul-11 21:54:25

no eggs allowed, but I like the idea of semolina!

mathanxiety Sat 02-Jul-11 02:38:00

All sorts of egg replacers here. Powdered products need only the addition of water afaik and can be used in most dished that require eggs. Check the ingredients for dairy elements though.

thisisyesterday Sat 02-Jul-11 09:43:45

we're egg free too hoops (as well as dairy), plus we're vegetarian. makes things quite difficult in terms of fat as well

does he eat ice cream? i haven't tried making my own yet, but when i (eventually) get round to it i'll let you know how it works out
the swedish glace ice cream is nice but i am not sure how much calcium it has in it.

Iggly Sat 02-Jul-11 11:11:39

Will he have a drink of milk before bedtime? Or a mid afternoon snack - cup of milk with a biscuit? That's what we do with DS who has oatly (21 months)

UnseenAcademicalMum Sat 02-Jul-11 11:19:09

I make my own ice-cream (ds1 is egg allergic, ds2 is milk allergic, both have a heap of other allergies including chickpeaks, lentils and nuts). It is really, really simple and doesn't take long to do, plus it looks really impressive when guests come round for dinner.

If he can have soya, you can give Alpro soya yogurts or the desserts, which ds2 quite likes. Dark green veg is also high in calcium and so is tofu. Otherwise, we have Sandoz calcium supplements for ds2, which I don't use all the time, just at times when I know he hasn't had enough calcium-rich food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now