Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have any recommendations for books for 3-4yo who is getting a sibling?

(10 Posts)
GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 01-Jul-11 16:13:55

I've heard of House Inside My Mummy and Mummy Laid an Egg but are they a bit babyish? Is there anything that we DD won't get bored reading? smile

camdancer Fri 01-Jul-11 16:26:03

House inside my Mummy might be a bit young - my 2yo likes that one. Mummy Laid an Egg is my 4yo's favourite. He also likes Where Willy Went. We also have a couple of books with no words - My New Baby and another one by the same author. They are quite good for talking about what is happening/what will happen rather than just reading the story.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 01-Jul-11 16:48:58

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. It's totally new territory, DD has never asked at all where babies come from despite a clutch of new cousins in the past year. Maybe it being a bit closer to home will inspire her to ask!

DilysPrice Fri 01-Jul-11 17:00:20

Mummy Laid an Egg is definitely not babyish, it's full on sex ed. Funny, but you need to know what you're getting into.

Angel Mae by Shirley Hughes is good on the emotional side.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 02-Jul-11 09:07:17

I ordered where willy went and mummy laid an egg. Just flicked through them. Not sure about the page on sexual positions in MLAE! grin Will have a look at the other suggestions too.

MuminBahrain Sun 03-Jul-11 07:32:58

"There's an Ouch in my Pouch" is absolutely brilliant - although it is possible I like it even more than my 3.5 year old grin)

camdancer Sun 03-Jul-11 07:53:10

Thing is that DS really isn't all that interested in that page at all. He loves all the silly things the parents say first and feels all smug that he knows better. The good thing about the sexual positions page is that it shows sex as fun, which not many books do imo.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 03-Jul-11 07:57:00

it's not about the mechanics of it all, but It's Not Fair is good on the positives and negatives of being a big sister.

sybilfaulty Sun 03-Jul-11 07:59:07

"little Rabbi's new baby" by Harry Horse. Beautifully drawn and very helpful.

sybilfaulty Sun 03-Jul-11 07:59:31

Sorry, Little RABBIT's new baby, not Rabbi's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now