Talk

Advanced search

So, how relaxed do I become with regards eating?

(5 Posts)
saythatagain Fri 01-Jul-11 07:56:44

Dd is 7. Breakfast can be nothing to a bowl of cereal or some dry bread. Lunch is a packed one (school doesn't have lunch facility). Thankfully, the dinner ladies make sure that everything not eaten is returned home...! Some days, just a bite of bread is eaten, on others a whole 2 sausage rolls (the little cocktail ones). I pack as varied a lunch as possible and when we get home she is starving, like most children.
I've read on previous posts the importance of not pushing/forcing food but is this enough fuel to last the day? I will add that she eats all/most of her tea and appears to consume much more at the weekend.
Do I stand back and carry on as I'm doing or do I do.....what? I don't know!

Jdore Fri 01-Jul-11 09:15:48

Does she eat breakfast at the weekend/in the holidays & do you eat a bit later then. I've got a son who hates eating breakfast early and is too busy talking to eat much of his beautifully packed lunch, lovingly prepared by his mother every morning despite knowing it will not be eaten! As long as she isn't underweight and isn't listless then don't worry, which is the hardest thing in the world I know.

saythatagain Fri 01-Jul-11 12:20:45

Hi Jdore - I've only just been able to get back on MN!
Yes, we do eat later at the weekend and obviously, it is more laid back. I wouldn't say she was underweight - she's lithe & lean and there's not an extra ounce anywhere but I would hazard that is more the norm than not.
Only yesterday morning, I relented and ok, don't have breakfast if you don't fell up to it (I too can't face breakfast so early) but as soon as we started to make our way out the door, lo and behold - "I'm hungry"! So, she had a fig biscuit in the car on the way top school!
.......and breathe shock

WowOoo Fri 01-Jul-11 12:28:38

Stay relaxed whilst knowing you are doing your best to get her to eat enough healthy stuff.
The car thing probably wouldn't happen here. If you don't eat breakfast there is no way I'd let him eat a biscuit. And, he has screamed and screamed but never missed brekky again!
But, don't think it's a bad one off. I couldn't do it as ds2 would also want a biscuit and doesn't eat massively at breakfast.
DS1 is v hungry when he gets home. He has bread and fruit and then quite a large dinner. He's like a beanpole!
Carry on as you are. What do you think you're doing wrong?
I try to be relaxed, but underneath the calm exterior it stresses me out. smile

saythatagain Fri 01-Jul-11 12:43:21

I think I'm not ensuring my child is eating enough/the right kind of food stuffs....underneath my calm exterior I'm worried that mid morning she'll start to feel dizzy, get a headache etc.
But, you're right - I shall repeat my internal mantra - stop stressing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now