Talk

Advanced search

Toddler Boys Long Hair - thoughts?

(43 Posts)
MegandWesley Thu 30-Jun-11 19:13:27

Hi there,

My 16 month old has curly blond hair and we have so far been happy to let it grow. However the longer it gets the more and more people think he is a girl - normally older people. To be honest I don't really care that much, but I suppose I am interested in what peoples opinions are on little boys with longer hair? I wonder if people think I am weird for not wanting to make him look like a typical boy (sometimes he does wear pink - which probably adds to the confusion for old ladies!)?

Its getting the stage now where it is soon going to be 'long' as in below the shoulders, I really don't think I could bring myself to cut it, and nor could my husband. However if he was a girl I would be thinking about putting it up now to keep it out the way; He is coming home from nursery most days needed a hair wash - which I don't really want to do every night! And also it needs drying before bed with a hair dryer or the pillow gets soaked. His fringe is also getting in his eyes, but we are unsure if we cut a definite 'fringe' if it would just look more girly?! We were thinking of just letting fringe grow and brushing it to the side. I have no idea about this kind of thing - none of his peers have hair as long yet and i wasn't a particularly 'kiddy' person before having him! Are there ways of having long hair styles that are more 'boyish'??

So the question is - what do you think of toddler boys with long hair? If your boy (or girl) has long hair what tips do you have for haircair? Especially 'bed head!'.

Thanks!

PPPop Thu 30-Jun-11 19:18:01

I'm not keen tbh but it's personal preference at the end of the day. Drives me mad when my hair gets in my eyes so I always feel sorry for little boys constantly pushing their fringe out their eyes.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 30-Jun-11 19:20:40

I don't have one but I like long hair on little boys, particularly if it's curly. I would probably keep it at just above shoulder length though, just short enough to not automatically be girly. Not sure about the fringe, what is it doing now? Could it just be a shorter version of its current self without being a definite fringe?

MegandWesley Thu 30-Jun-11 19:20:49

See I think if it bothered him about his hair getting in his eyes i would want to cut it, but so far he isn't fussed at all - it isn't in his hair that much as it does go to one side.

Zwitterion Thu 30-Jun-11 19:21:07

I love long hair on boys. Just love it.

ragged Thu 30-Jun-11 19:22:24

Long curls are lovely, boy or girl. I go by clothes rather than hair to decide if it's girl or boy myself. But long hair is high maintenance & harder esp. to get lice out of. My boys have very short hair & my girl had short hair until she was old enough to brush & wash it herself.

PrinceHumperdink Thu 30-Jun-11 19:23:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tuggy Thu 30-Jun-11 19:29:38

photo photo photo! ;) he sounds so cute

BornToFolk Thu 30-Jun-11 19:33:03

I don't have a problem with long hair on boys but it does sound like it's a bit of a faff to keep clean and tidy. I think you are either going to have to put it up, or cut it off, tbh. I'd say the same if he were a girl.

greycircles Thu 30-Jun-11 19:33:37

It's not really about what it looks like for me, it's practicality. I wouldn't allow a toddler of either sex to have hair that was in their eyes.

spacester Thu 30-Jun-11 19:37:57

Have 21 month old boy with curly blonde long hair. Also wears pink. It's the only time in his life he can do it (apart from maybe that teen rocker look if he goes through that stage), so go for it! So what if he isn't 'masculine' - he isn't even two yet!

Mobly Thu 30-Jun-11 19:48:03

My boys (3yrs and 1.5yrs) have longish hair- shoulder length really, it's poker straight so I trim it myself at the back every now and then and their fringes. I got the hairdresser to put a few long layers on DS1's as then it is more surfer hair rather than the bowl cut iykwim?

I love long hair on boys, I think it's easier to style and cut if curly, my friend used to grip her little boys hair to the side until it was long enough to tuck behind his ears. It's up to you though. You can trim it out of his eyes without making it look like a proper fringe. Just take your time- start in the middle- ALWAYS cut longer than you think to start and match the sides to middle. I always cut vertical into hair after the trim to mess it up a bit.

cat64 Thu 30-Jun-11 19:54:25

Message withdrawn

Cattleprod Thu 30-Jun-11 19:55:23

I love long hair on little boys, but I can't stand those thick straight fringes that seem to accompany them 'to keep it out of his eyes' hmm. Think 'surf dude, keep it around shoulder length and get some layers put in, and grow out the fringe so it can be tucked behind his ears out of the way. It looks so much better than a thuggish buzz cut or a dull, prim bowl.

Unfortunately a lot of (mainly older) people automatically think long hair = girl. There's not much you can do to change that. I should imagine girls with short hair have the opposite problem.

MegandWesley Thu 30-Jun-11 19:57:17

Thanks for the input! I think I have decided that he does need a fringe cut, I've been looking at some pictures of children's haircuts and fringes actually don't seem to look too girly. He does also have quite a big forehead so i think having no fringe might not look that great eventually.

I love my little boys hair so much, honestly think I would cry if we cut it off! Its part of who he is - my baby!

I think I'll start a new thread about haircare, as that question seems to have been missed in this thread.

Thanks again!

Sirzy Thu 30-Jun-11 19:57:21

I dont like long hair on boys BUT what he wears/how he has his hair is up to you as parent at this stage so sod what anyone else thinks do what sit rights with you!

loopylocket Thu 30-Jun-11 20:11:02

hi i have two boys (and 2 girls) the boys hair was blonde and curly and my now 13 year old had it long and i mean long till he finished reception year. (his choice to have it cut) we tied it in a pony tail at school/pe and luckily he never had nits .. but he hated having it brushed so most of the time i didn't and it looked fine.. he now again has long hair just past sholders and looks like a teeenage scruff.. she was mistaken for a girl and had a few problems with kids teasing him but he um yer just proved he was a boy if there was a problem..
my 3 year old has beautiful blonde curls hates it being brushed but had got used to hair washes now.. he is a very large boy (not overweight just big) and looks to male to be confused as a a girl but it has happened ususaly older people..

saying all that my husband has long hair so the boys may have just wanted to be like daddy and it normal to them...

the girls well one is girly and loves long hair done in all manner of styles..
the olther 7 has brown very straight hair and it is in a short bob.. which is is alway asking to have cut shorter.... my hair is long but has been short also.

try putting it in a pony tail to keep it out of the way just a low one at the back
the grip idea sound good might have to try this at home

sorry for long post
lucy

monkoray Thu 30-Jun-11 20:51:38

Your DS sounds adorable. My 20 month old DS has straight long hair - beyond the shoulders. We have cut a fringe because he wouldn't keep hair clips in. In the hot weather we tie it up in a ponytail which makes him look mega cute. This is going to sound ridiculous but i use blue or brown hair bands to show he is a boy. It makes no difference, everyone thinks he's a girl.
Does your DS need a hair wash because his hair is dirty or just because it is tangled? We have discovered that a Tangle Tease (type of hair brush) works a treat at getting tangles out - and food. And we use Johnsons baby conditioner as well.

pranma Fri 01-Jul-11 21:03:31

My friend's ds was bullied unmercifully from the age of 4 because of his long curly hair.They had to change school 3 times.he was a very lively 'boyish' boy.She was a single mum and made a big fuss of how the child didnt want short hair when it was obviously her not her ds.That little boy's life was a misery until[this is true] one of her friends took him to hairdresser with her own ds and had his hair cut.My friend never spoke to the other mum again[I do understand why and I wouldnt have done it]BUT-from that day the boy's social problems were sorted-when his hair grew a bit he asked for a trim.It was never really short but never flowing curls again either.He is now 25 and told me recently that he was so grateful to that woman.
If you know other boys with long hair-fine.If he is under 3 fine too but otherwise keep it above shoulder length for your son's sake.

FrameyMcFrame Fri 01-Jul-11 21:22:07

your boy sounds like he looks a lot like my 2.2 year old!

I do trim his hair to keep it just above shoulder length and I trim the front back but it doesn't look like a fringe.
I'll try and do a link to a photo...

FrameyMcFrame Fri 01-Jul-11 21:33:14

my little boy

meltedchocolate Fri 01-Jul-11 22:44:30

awwww Framey! You are blessed. You have an adorable child <imagines Framey sitting smug nodding and thinking 'I know'>

FrameyMcFrame Fri 01-Jul-11 23:16:10

smile
He does get mistaken for a girl a lot too, even though he's usually wearing something with trains on! Usually older generation.

strangely, my daughter often used to get mistaken for a boy as she had quite short dark hair.

VforViennetta Sat 02-Jul-11 01:06:23

My ds1(4) had beautiful ringlets, although I did give him a short hairstyle once they grew too long. They did grow back and we did the same(we got so many comments about him losing his lovely hair sad). After that his hair seemed to grow in straight, it's mid brown and straight now, although it is still long, we need to get him back to the barbers. He really does suit longish hair, because it is so thick and shiny, I wouldn't have it below the shoulders though.

My ds2(20 months) is a blondie, his hair is quite frizzy though, it's fine atm, I'm not contemplating cutting. It doesn't get in his eyes, but if it did I would just snip the offending bits. I have no idea about other peoples children but mine would never have contemplated sitting still for a full hair cut until about 2.5.

We pinned down ds1 for a home cut at about 2, but it was about 4 until he would sit in a barbers chair.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Jul-11 04:00:18

My DD3 had very curly hair even as a toddler and I kept it short in a kind of bob that I did myself as she tended to get very hot in the hot summer climate we lived in at the time, with a fringe that extended to just above her eyes when wet and straight (so it curled back up when dry) A short bob is very unisex (think Christopher Robin) and you don't sacrifice the curls if you don't touch the top much with the scissors. I kept her hair shortish, in a sort of bob, until she said she wanted to grow it when she was about 8. She was mistaken for a boy occasionally and therefore wanted it longer.

I used shampoo on her hair until I knew better -- since she turned 5 or so I have only used conditioner (see 'curly girl method' here on MN or online). Using only conditioner has allowed DD3 and even DD2, whose hair was wavy when she started, and myself too to grow our curly hair quite long without splitting or breaking.

I would really be inclined to cut the hair of a boy at least in a bob style by the age of 3 or 4.

<Framey -- what an angel>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now