Talk

Advanced search

Bran flakes for DD??

(17 Posts)
tinker316 Thu 30-Jun-11 11:00:30

Hi!!
My DD is 13months old & has gone off what she has for breakfast, but when I have mine ( bran flakes) she seems 2 want them?!
So, I have given her a few & she enjoys them!
Would it be ok for her 2 have them for her breakfast??

tinker316 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:37:17

Bump

BornToFolk Thu 30-Jun-11 13:39:38

What does she normally have? My DS has always loved bran flakes and I don't want him having a whole bowl (too much fibre, sugar and salt) so he quite often has a few sprinkled on his porridge.

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 30-Jun-11 13:41:43

Noooooo please dont give her bran flakes
They are far too high in fibre for a child - they will go through her body too quickly and give her diarrhea

How about weetabix?

Bramshott Thu 30-Jun-11 13:43:04

Both of my DDs have eaten Bran Flakes from a young age and loved them. You will need good wipes though because (TMI!) the flecks of bran which come out in their nappies are hard to get off!

Icoulddoitbetter Thu 30-Jun-11 13:46:18

I don't give them to to my DS as I think they are too high in fibre, plus they have a fair amount of sugar in them. He enjoys eating mine though!
We have Weetabix, porridge, mini shreaded wheats, in rotation, with some fruit.

Pinkjenny Thu 30-Jun-11 13:47:26

As with icoulddoitbetter, my ds loves bran flakes, and as dh generally has them for breakfast we let him have a few mouthfuls. I'm not sure I'd give him a full bowl of them, though. He generally eats Weetabix. He is 18mo.

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 30-Jun-11 13:48:42

Bramshott - the 'flecks of brown' are undigested bran flake, which have passed through your dd too quickly...............

Bran flakes are not suitable for children smile

knickyknocks Thu 30-Jun-11 13:49:44

My 21 month old DD loves them. That said, everything in moderation. She has them once or twice a week in rotation with weetabix, toast, fruit, yoghurt and shreddies. Haven't noticed anything different about her poo on days she has bran flakes - and so long as kids are having good varied diets I don't see the problem of giving them bran flakes once in a while.

Bramshott Thu 30-Jun-11 14:39:11

Thanks Laura - in fact I said "flecks of bran"!

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 30-Jun-11 14:48:39

Still brown though eh? grin
Yuck yuck

Llanarth Thu 30-Jun-11 16:43:04

genuinely interested - what is wrong with bran flakes for children? My DS (3.5 years) has fruit n fibre most days for breakfast (and no poo problems!). Should I restrict them?

tinker316 Thu 30-Jun-11 17:25:24

DD normally has porridge with banana - but has gone off them all week sad
May try her with a fruit muesli , she may just have got bored of it??

Bramshott Thu 30-Jun-11 21:10:52

I personally don't see a problem with the fibre aspect - although clearly if your children got diarrhea as a result you might want to think again. Neither of my two had problems with diarrhea with eating bran flakes from a young age - yes, the bran passes through untouched, but then so do a lot of things grin!

I think they are fairly high salt though, so they're not great for babies, but I don't imagine they are any higher in salt than something like rice crispies or cornflakes.

moajab Fri 01-Jul-11 23:12:50

My DS has had a bowl of fruit n fibre every day since he turned 1 (I avoided it before then because of nuts). It's been the only breakfast he ever enjoyed. He has had no problems - nappies no worse than normal, good appetite generally and a very healthy little boy! Like the op he didn't enjoy other breakfasts, but liked to eat from my bowl. I would se no harm in trying bran flakes. You can always stop if there are any problems.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Jul-11 02:51:23

Try porridge with stewed apple or some other fruit -- berry season is upon us and there's no shortage of inspiration.

Dr Sears on cereals 'For fiber to work, you must take extra fluids to help soften the stools, otherwise the extra fiber turns to sludge in the bowels and actually contributes to constipation.' If your child is going to eat All Bran or any high fibre cereal, make sure he is drinking extra fluids or you may end up with a constipated and dehydrated toddler.

morechocolate Sat 02-Jul-11 15:33:47

just to support what mathanxiety says my son had faecal impaction and before it was diagnosed used to eat bran with lots of milk which was making the situation worse as he was not drinking enough other fluids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now