Talk

Advanced search

Is there anyone who DOESN'T call all their children by the wrong names?

(24 Posts)
BellaBearisWideAwake Tue 28-Jun-11 07:51:27

because DS2 is only tiny and I'm really annoying DS1 ALREADY "I'm NOT DS2!!!!!"

Is there any hope for me?!

startail Tue 28-Jun-11 07:54:50

Nogrin
And I drive my sister mad by calling her by DD1s name!

SheCutOffTheirTails Tue 28-Jun-11 07:57:08

I don't do this for some reason. I've always had a really good memory for faces and names though. It's almost freakish.

My mother mixes up all her grandchildren's names though. Often she has to cycle through a few before she hits the right one - boys, girls makes no difference. Actually thinking about it, she did this when we were kids too.

I guess the names are just in easily accessible memory store, sometimes the wrong one pops out first grin

AngryFeet Tue 28-Jun-11 07:57:31

Even worse I often call DD by DS name and vice versa when I am in a rush/distracted grin

5GoMadOnAZ650 Tue 28-Jun-11 07:59:02

I always swore I'd get names right all of the time after a childhood of bring called by my sisters,aunties or mums name, needless to say I still get them all wrong.

usualsuspect Tue 28-Jun-11 07:59:45

I've called my children the dogs name grin

BellaBearisWideAwake Tue 28-Jun-11 07:59:55

I used to get called by the cat's name. The cat was called Bernard.

effingwotnots Tue 28-Jun-11 08:00:12

Mine are all "ermmm.... you" once in a while smile

eyethangyou Tue 28-Jun-11 08:02:19

I only have one DS and I often call him "Steve" in a moment of distraction.

His name is not Steve. Not even close.

I don't have any close acquaintances or pets called Steve.

confused

Tee2072 Tue 28-Jun-11 08:07:08

I only have one child, but he is often called by his dad's name. And vice versa.

I have 5 older brothers and sisters. My dad will still stand there looking right at you and cycle through all of our names and our aunt and uncle's names before hitting the right one.

DooinMeCleanin Tue 28-Jun-11 08:08:48

My mum does it really badly. She starts with almost the right name and then works through all the GC and family pets before giving up grin

Udderly Tue 28-Jun-11 08:10:04

I have a baby, a dog and a husband and have resigned myself to the fact that their names are interchangeable. I have also called my husband 'mother''. Didn't go down well!! grin

Paschaelina Tue 28-Jun-11 08:10:46

Mum had tshirts printed foru twin brothers when they were about 2 saying "I'm X that's Y" and "I'm Y that's X"

Needless to say they always swopped them about and wore the wrong ones...

Mum gave up shortly after and to this day (25 years later) she refers to them as Boy.

Shodan Tue 28-Jun-11 08:11:38

I'm also one of six and used to get really peed off when my mother would try every other name, plus those of the cat and dog before hitting on the right one.

I vowed never to do it.

Now I do it on a regular basis with my two boys. blush

Worse still, I have trouble remembering their dates of birth when asked. (double blush

Bartimaeus Tue 28-Jun-11 08:22:53

My parents usually called us the right name. My brother was only ever called his name, I have tons of nicknames (all diminuitives of my name) so my mum would rattle off one of them.
Only time she ever called me by the wrong name was when she was telling me off (she'd call me by my brother's name! - force of habit).

However once I left home I regularly got called by the cat's name...

WorzselMummage Tue 28-Jun-11 08:39:04

According to my dad my siblings, my mum and I all share a name - Jed (the dogs name)

candzsmum Tue 28-Jun-11 08:43:19

I'm so glad it's not just me - we've just had our 3rd boy and I can't seem to manage the right names at all! Makes me feel so much better!

BellaBearisWideAwake Tue 28-Jun-11 09:13:30

Think it must be a universal truth then. Almost

SomekindofSpanish Tue 28-Jun-11 09:30:40

Yep. Do this all the time. Have 3 DSs and conversations tend to go like this:

Me: 'Hey, DS1, sorry, DS2, oops meant DS3. Come here.'

DS2: 'I'm not DS1 or 3, I am DS2'. The other two just ignore me.

The other day, I called a friend's daughter by DS3's name. Luckily, I was praising her dd at the time and not telling her off blush.

TheHumanCatapult Tue 28-Jun-11 09:36:22

dates of birth always gets me to .blush

hmmSleep Tue 28-Jun-11 09:43:36

I've given up on actual names completely and resorted to generic pet names, sweetheart, monkey, chipmunk etc. Even Dh gets called these. My brain is too full.

GooseyLoosey Tue 28-Jun-11 09:44:47

In despair I do at times refer to mine as "Who ever you are". They laugh and I think it's with humour rather than terror.

Honeydragon Tue 28-Jun-11 09:50:54

All the time, nor have I helped my self with the fact that ds, dd and the dog all have names ending with ie or y hmm

added to the confusion both dh and I are referred to as "e" & "el" (our first names abbreviated, or more often by a shortened version of our surname (eg. Fletch/Fletcher)

There no bloody hope for us hmm

mrsravelstein Tue 28-Jun-11 09:55:04

i'm glad it's not just me. anyone being told off tends to get called 'soren' which is the cat's name. ds1 i often call my brother's name which is very mysterious. the 3dc i get mixed up all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now