Talk

Advanced search

How to survive an evening party with toddler and 6 month old

(14 Posts)
ScarlettButler Mon 27-Jun-11 09:15:02

Hello, next month we've been invited to a family silver wedding party that we can't not go to....but I would be v grateful for any tips. It's in a country house so we'll be staying in a room there, but kicks off at 7.30pm, DCs bedtime. How would you manage it so you don't have hysterical toddler/baby?
I'd like DCs to at least see relatives but don't know how to manage bedtime - and don't want to be The Relative With The Unmanageable Children if they kick off...Also I'm guessing DH and I will have to take turns staying in the room with DCs as not sure of the layout but prob too far away to leave by selves.
Added to that there's a five hour journey by train/car to get there - any advice on that too...?
Help!

GreenTeapot Mon 27-Jun-11 09:24:28

Depends a lot on the DC and what they're like when tired. If you can manage a late nap for them both they'll be better able to cope. I'd probably have a sling for the 6 month old to sleep in and perhaps take a stroller that the toddler could nap in? You could take a battery operated baby monitor maybe. I don't envy you!

ruddynorah Mon 27-Jun-11 09:27:01

Quite honestly i'd leave the children with the other side of the family and enjoy the party yourselves. They can meet this side of the family another time when they're fresh and happy.

sprinkles77 Mon 27-Jun-11 09:27:26

Do you have a baby sitter you can trust who is not invited to the party? Maybe you can bring them along.

ScarlettButler Mon 27-Jun-11 09:33:24

ruddynorah I'd love to do that but just not possible - DH's mother couldn't cope with them (not that they are difficult, just she's not active enough). Sprinkles77 - again I'd love to do that but is going to cost us a fortune to get ourselves and a long way so don't think I can.
GreenTeapot - I don't envy myself at all - feel like hyperventilating whenever I consider it. I HAVE to go though - wd be major problem if I didn't.

snailoon Mon 27-Jun-11 09:34:42

I did a lot of late parties with baby and toddler, and I can honestly say that I really enjoyed it. If the kids are not tired, people will love having them there, and they will get lots of attention. If they are exhausted, just plunk them down in a room to sleep and use a baby monitor+occasional checking up on them. Baby might like to sleep in a carrier as Teapot suggested.
Our kids were used to lots of irregular schedules and sleeping in odd places as we are both involved in performing, so lots of travel and late parties. It was great, a really happy time, and the kids added to the festive atmosphere.

allnewtaketwo Mon 27-Jun-11 09:38:07

5 hours to get there for a party that starts at 7.30pm - with toddler and baby? I wouldn't be going.

Danthe4th Mon 27-Jun-11 09:43:58

Why not contact the venue and ask if they use any local nannies, this is what I do, a nanny would be happy to come to the venue and get to know the children, put them to bed for you and sit in the room to either play with them or get them to sleep. A babysitter would expect them to be asleep. I charge £12 per hour. But it does give you piece of mind to be able to go off and enjoy the party but be on call if there is a problem.
I'm in the cotswolds but if you post on the nannies section someone may be local to the venue.

ruddynorah Mon 27-Jun-11 09:46:35

I really wouldn't go then. But that's based on my children who wouldn't do very well at a party after such a long journey.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Mon 27-Jun-11 09:48:52

we have just been to a family party this weekend and it worked so well.

we made sure the boys (older than yours but the principle is the same) had quiet time between 3 and 5 reading books on the bed in the hotel room snoozing just chilling. (curtains closed clothes off in bed)

6 oclock started to get up and about a bit buggy for baby blanket and snuggly toy for toddler go to the party.

when baby is sleepy wander round hotel with baby in buggy until baby is asleep and leave the party when the toddler is ready to drop.

ENjoy you should have a fab time smile

Jojay Mon 27-Jun-11 09:55:50

I'd be tempted to drive rather than go on the train, as they're likely to sleep more in the car, so be refreshed for the evening.

My toddlers tend to just keep doing in a party atmosphere. We've been to several weddings over the last year or two and they've carried on till 10 pm ish without a meltdown. A sling is a good idea for the baby, or when they look tired, pop them in the buggy and go for a stroll around the block, then when they're asleep, park them in the corner somewhere quiet, but it's amazing what they'll sleep through when they're tired.

What I WOULDN'T do is clock watch obsessively or try to stick to a normal bedtime. They will pick up on the party atmosphere as much as everyone else, and there is nothing worse than a martyr-ish mummy desperately trying to get bright eyed babies to sleep, just because it's 'bedtime'.

Go with the flow, take them away if they have a meltdown but I bet if they're well rested during the day, they'll be just fine.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Mon 27-Jun-11 10:03:56

We had a similar situation with our dd (almost 3yo). A late nap was the answer and then she stayed up with us eating and dancing etc etc. I was so surprised we all had such a good time!
Definitely the excitment of the party will keep them going longer than normal.
Good luck

ScarlettButler Mon 27-Jun-11 10:14:41

jojay i wd drive but i reckon that wd be a good 7 hours with stops etc
yes will hv to hope there is going with the flow...
is all a bit of a mare...

FairyArmadillo Mon 27-Jun-11 10:24:15

I think the baby would be OK. Is your toddler used to a big crowd of people giving him attention? Mine is quite sociable but we went to a big family reunion/wedding when he was 2.5 and he the combination of tired and overwhelmed by attention was not good! Perhaps you have to prepare yourself for the possibility of you and DH taking it in turns to be at the party if it doesn't work out. On the positive side (because I don't want to sound like the prophet of doom!) my friend recently went to a family wedding PG and with a 2yr old and he lasted till 1am!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now