Talk

Advanced search

help what transport do I need when leaving hospital?

(11 Posts)
LilQueenie Sun 26-Jun-11 17:21:54

Hi Ive just been informed that I may actually need transport for leaving hospital with my newborn. There is no one with a carseat or car. Do all hospitals demand you leave in a car as Ive heard? Just tried to call hospital I am booked in for and no answer. Im due on wednesday!

reikizen Sun 26-Jun-11 17:24:40

No-one can stop you leaving hospital without a carseat, and if you don't have a car why would you need a car seat!! Are you planning to walk, in which case a pram is fine if you feel up to walking. If you are going in a taxi, see if you can borrow a car seat as although it is not illegal, I do think it is dangerous personally.

LilQueenie Sun 26-Jun-11 17:28:33

I wouldnt use a car without a carseat but was unsure whether I would be allowed to leave using just the pram.

OddBoots Sun 26-Jun-11 17:32:35

Is it your wish to walk home? Will there be someone to walk with you?

If you have someone with you and it's not too far then hopefully you can talk them into it. Might be worth a 'plan b' just in case though, when I had mine (a few years ago) a couple of local taxi companies would provide a car seat if you needed it.

tabulahrasa Sun 26-Jun-11 17:37:22

How far do you need to walk? If it's more than a five minute walk I'd really be thinking if getting home some other way.

LilQueenie Sun 26-Jun-11 17:41:10

its about 20 mins and probably just me on my own. I guess I can look in to taxi firms that provide car seats.

trixie123 Sun 26-Jun-11 17:41:57

I am not sure they WILL let you leave without a car seat if you are travelling in a car. Given that you don't know how you'll be feeling after the birth I would try to line up a taxi / friend to get you home and borrow a seat.

pozzled Sun 26-Jun-11 17:43:54

You don't need a car seat if you're not planning in going in a car. But I would be very hesitant to plan on either walking or taking public transport only a few hours or even a couple of days after giving birth. I could barely walk after having DD1, more from exhaustion than pain. Unless you live next door to the hospital I'd try to borrow a car seat and get a cab.

pozzled Sun 26-Jun-11 17:45:35

x-posted.

Definitely don't plan a 20-minute walk on your own with a newborn. I'd be very surprised and impressed if you felt up to that.

Flisspaps Sun 26-Jun-11 18:16:40

They cannot actually make you or your child stay in hospital or forbid you from leaving however you so choose - you are there as a patient, not a prisoner. Rather than getting a carseat why not use the pram in a hackey cab (black cab) as you can have the pram up in one of these, and most have a ramp.

LilQueenie Sun 26-Jun-11 18:57:05

thanks for all the advice. I will be going up to the hospital tommorrow as apparantly they have a list of freephone taxis on the wall which also includes the use of a car seat. Will be checking that is the case. I hope so as it makes things so much easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now