Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Which site to use to change my sons surname via deedpoll???

(3 Posts)
Mummyto2xx Sun 26-Jun-11 15:06:55

Im hoping someone out there has done this recently and can point me in the right direction of which site is offical and best to use as im worried as there are so many out there and i dont know which is the offical one to use, i want to change my sons surname from his old name his fathers thathes has not seen for the past 10yrs to the same as his brother and sister and also me once were married later this year, the father wasnt on the birth certificate so that wont be a problem,

any infor or numbers u are able to give me to use would be great i want to change his passport doctors school etcas hes due to start high school this year and i want him to change it before he goes,

thanks in advance :0)

activate Sun 26-Jun-11 15:10:32

CAB site

Changing a child’s name

A child’s name can be changed at any time, provided it is not to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure which must be followed in order to change a child’s name, providing all the people who need to give their consent have done so. The parent simply starts using the new name. A child’s forename or surname can be changed, names can be added or rearranged.

Although there is no legal way to change a child’s name, you may need evidence that a child’s name has been changed (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, the details on a child’s birth certificate cannot be changed, except in limited circumstances.

Changing details on a child’s birth certificate can be complicated. If you wish to do so you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.

If you are a child or young person under 16 your consent does not have to be given for your name to be changed. However, if you object to your name being changed you can apply for a court order to prevent the change, provided the court is satisfied that you have sufficient understanding of what is involved.

As a child or young person under 16 you cannot change your surname without your parent’s consent.

Once a child’s name has been changed it can be used for all purposes, such as starting school and registering with a GP. However, evidence may be required (see under heading Evidence of change of name).

Who can change a child’s name

Where only one parent or person has parental responsibility for a child, that person can lawfully change the child’s name. Where two or more people have parental responsibility for the child, one of them can lawfully change the child’s name if all the others agree. Such agreements do not need to be in writing.

If there is a residence order in force, a child’s name cannot be changed without the written agreement of anyone else who has parental responsibility or the permission of the court.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 26-Jun-11 16:36:57

Haven't done it for a child but for myself. And from what activate has c and p'd it's the same except the bit about if two people have parental responsibility...does your ex still have parental responsibility?

Basicaly, legally you can call yourself (or your child it would seem from the above) whatever you like, whenever you like as long as it,s not in order to deceive.

In practice, esp as an adult, you need id.

Theoreticaly you can write your own deed pol on a scrap of paper!I found the easiest way was a free deed pol internet site. I just one used the first google turned up. You fill in your details, look at an advert (that's why it's free) them they email you a pdf you can print out and get signed by whitnesses of your choosing.

Everywher excepted this. Bank, utilities, new passport. I'd suggest you do this and get your ds a new passport that you can use as id when you might otherwise use a childs birth cert.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: