Talk

Advanced search

How much did you actually use small cloth bibs?

(30 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Fri 24-Jun-11 15:54:47

Before DD was born I stocked up on cloth bibs because they seemed like an important baby kind of thing. In actual fact she wasn't a dribbly baby and they were absolutely no match for BLW (turned to long sleeve + pelican bib combo instead) so barely used them.

Now in the process of getting things organised for the (hopefully) imminent arrival of DS and wondering whether it's worth hanging on to them or ditching them. Did anyone actually find them unbelievably useful? Are they just good if you have a dribbly baby?

gourd Fri 24-Jun-11 16:06:53

We used small cloth bibs for catching huge amounts of drool between 4-6 months old, so we could avoid LO getting a rash or the drool necessitating clothing changes several times a day. We did get through 2-3 a day then (used to just dry one or two off on the line or radiator whilst she was drooling onto another then swap them over again till bedtime when they all went in the wash), but LO was breastfed so we had no other use for bibs till weaning, and then needed bibs that are long sleeved and very absorbent (terry toweling) or similar.

Tee2072 Fri 24-Jun-11 16:13:21

Also used them (and still do, at age 2) to catch drool from teething.

I also put one on my son if he's just having some milk as he tends to dribble! I especially think it's nice for before bed because who wants to sleep in wet PJs?!?! grin

Flisspaps Fri 24-Jun-11 16:14:51

Never. I keep finding the bloody things, they were a complete waste of time for DD.

ChunkyPickle Fri 24-Jun-11 16:17:17

We never used them - if I tried he'd just manage to get drool/milk/sick around the edges anyhow. We just gave him a double layer of t-shirts and changed the top one when it soaked through.

beanlet Fri 24-Jun-11 16:17:22

Great below 6 months for drool/reflux/vom. Hopeless for food.

belgo Fri 24-Jun-11 16:19:05

Yes I used cloth bibs for my babies, and larger ones for when they were older to protect their clothes from food.

Paschaelina Fri 24-Jun-11 16:23:12

Never once.

nocake Fri 24-Jun-11 16:24:31

We use them a lot as DD is quite dribbly but if your baby isn't dribbly them you won't need them. I'd hang onto them just in case.

tigercametotea Fri 24-Jun-11 16:27:03

I still use them for my 2 year old DS because he's a messy eater and he was a dribbly baby.

Pinkjenny Fri 24-Jun-11 16:29:57

I prefer plastic backed bibs as the milk doesn't seep through. When mine were tiny you could buy a pack of ten in Asda quite cheaply, they had a velcro fastening and were brilliant. They didn't like the tumble much though.

Sossiges Fri 24-Jun-11 16:44:04

I've got squillions of them, all completely useless, especially ones with strings or Velcro (to easy to get out of). Not even any good for dribble as got soaked through instantly & too small for feeding purposes. Dribble bibs for dribble, BIG bibs for feeding & er...that's it.

Sossiges Fri 24-Jun-11 16:45:39

Chuck 'em grin

Jaspants Fri 24-Jun-11 16:47:16

loads for dribble / sick / mopping up general spills but useless for food

DitaVonCheese Fri 24-Jun-11 20:24:59

Thanks all. That isn't an overwhelming vote of confidence for the bibs. Might keep a couple and bin the rest. I will now of course be cursed with a dribbling baby no doubt grin

Grumpla Fri 24-Jun-11 20:30:26

I found the cloth ones were pretty useless and made my own industrial-strength dribble bibs to try and soak up the horrendous amounts of drool that DS produced (cotton, two layers of towelling, fleece backing)

Some of my friends couldn't understand what the problem was until they witnessed the speed at which he could soak through a shirt and a vest between bib changes... one of those little cloth bibs lasted minutes, tops...

cat64 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:40:56

Message withdrawn

wasabipeanut Fri 24-Jun-11 20:46:14

They were neither use or ornament with DS with feeding. He was never a drooly baby when teething either but then he didn't get his first tooth until he was a year old. I didn't even bother unpacking them when expecting DD.

I just used muslins for everything.

Cosmosis Fri 24-Jun-11 22:05:35

never!

pushmepullyou Fri 24-Jun-11 22:09:42

I've got a very dribbly 3 month old and get through about 5 little cloth bibs a day

FutureNannyOgg Fri 24-Jun-11 22:19:36

I never really used them. I used muslins for feeding/posset etc. I found if I put them on for dribble they would turn sideways, so we had a couple of those bandana type ones instead. I probably used a little bib twice.

DitaVonCheese Fri 24-Jun-11 22:26:08

God, I forgot about muslins. Right, binning the bibs smile

cornflakegirl Fri 24-Jun-11 22:44:27

I didn't use them at all for DS1. Was given some when DS2 arrived, and took them back to the shop to exchange for something useful. Then had to go and buy a bunch a couple of months later because he was so dribbly.

trixymalixy Fri 24-Jun-11 22:49:20

Never!! I may have put them on just because they were there, but not that they served any purpose. I used long sleeve water
Roof bibs on the kids when weaning.

wompoopigeon Fri 24-Jun-11 22:50:53

Constantly (very sicky baby).
Hang on to them to see what kind of baby you are dealt, would be my advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now