Talk

Advanced search

Routine help please!!

(2 Posts)
Lexiejack Wed 22-Jun-11 20:11:11

Desperately looking for a routine for my 2yr old and 1yr old. At the moment they ask for bed at 5:45pm and as a result wake up between 4:30-5:30 each morning!! Can anyone help? I'm really bad with routines but it's beginning to affect DS at nursery xx

Carrotsandcelery Wed 22-Jun-11 20:18:25

I would first establish if they would wake at that time regardless of when you put them to bed. My ds would, even if I put him to bed at midnight.

I would also make sure I had the best blackout facilities I could muster in their bedroom(s).

Then I would build their routine around the immovable factors in their lives eg. Nursery times, nursery meal and snack times, your coming in from work (if you work) times etc.

I would try to keep my meal times in sync with any meal times at nursery and home nap times in sync with any nap times at nursery.

I would then list all the things that need to be done in the day and the time it takes to do them and fit them into the schedule. eg bathtime, doing the dishes, hanging laundry etc.

Then I would roughly schedule set times that I would try to sit down and do something with my dcs. eg read a story, play-doh etc. I wouldn't set this in stone - life happens!

I would also look at a weekly routine - what needs done on a weekly basis such as shopping and try to spread these things out or dedicate one particular day to it or whatever suits you.

You don't want anything too rigid and you always need to be flexible but you should find that is enough.

You could make a chart with the times on it and let your 2 yr old put a sticker on every time you have done what is on the chart so they begin to get the idea of it too.

You will find it changes frequently as they grow and their needs change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now