Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What age- cot 2 bed??

(14 Posts)
tinker316 Wed 22-Jun-11 09:33:55

Hi!!
My DD is 13 months old, she has a cot that transforms into a toddler bed.
She now has the bed as low as possible, I was just wondering what age should I remove the sides??
She is cruising & can pull herself up now- any advice will be great smile

20wkbaby Wed 22-Jun-11 09:42:48

I think we moved our daughter at 2.5 which was a bit later than her peers but not by a long way.

The main concern for me was that there were a lot of things in her room that if she was left alone with could potentially have caused an accident. We used her room as partial storeroom for cotbed and buggy etc as well as other bulky items. Her shelves were not fixed to the wall either. Her move to a toddler bed coincided with us properly decorating her bedroom and removing all hazards.

Having said this she still at 3.2 does not really get out of bed before we go in to get her in the morning (except to use the potty) and she cannot physically open the door easily as the doorknobs are a bit tricky to turn.

Personally I would consider anything before 2 yo a bit early.

2bayumimum Wed 22-Jun-11 14:58:59

Ive got two DSs, the eldest went into his own bed at 2.9 and my youngest 2.10, although this might seem late, to me it was the safest time, as they both are very inquisitive and would have been into everything otherwise. At the ages they were, they were comfortable making the change ( different bed for DS1, sides off cot into cotbed for DS2 ). I do think under two is a bit too young, as its likely they will keep falling out of bed, making it a difficult time for you and them. I would say listen to your instinct as you when you think she is ready and if you use a Grobag, stick with that when making the change, as that does tend to limit their desire to wander...

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Wed 22-Jun-11 15:04:10

Mine were aqll between 18 months & 2 years - basically when they could either climb out & hurt themslves or when potty trained at night, so they could get to the toilet easily.

Debs75 Wed 22-Jun-11 15:10:03

I put dd1 into a bed when she was 2.6 as dc2 was due in 4 months and we didn't want her to feel left out.
Ds1 went into a bed at 18m as we moved quick and he wouldn't go in his new cot. He slept with me at first then was in his own single bed 2 months later. He did however fall out a few times and spent the next 4 months swapping between mine and his bed(they were pushed together) He had his own room at 2 and was fine in a bed by then
DD2 has just gone into her own bed at 2.8. She was co-sleeping with me and in her cot. She is fine in her bed and loves it, she does prefer my bed still
DD3 is 10m and hates her cot, she has spent about 6 hours in it so when we move and she and dd2 get their own room she will be straight in a bed.

AMumInScotland Wed 22-Jun-11 15:21:10

We changed DS cot into a bed at 15 months, as he seemed very close to being able to climb out of it. He didn't fall out, and even if he had it was so close to the floor that he wouldn't have been harmed.

But you do need to make sure everywhere they could wander will be safe - in their room and out of it - so keeping her in a cot for longer, till she can be trusted a tiny bit more, would be easier.

Pigleychez Wed 22-Jun-11 18:07:20

Dd1 moved from her cot into a junior bed at 18 mths. Mainly as DD2 was due to arrive and wanted her to be settled before her arrival. Thankfully she was fine and loved it. She was the first of her friends to make the transition. I think the norm is about 2-2.5

smokinaces Wed 22-Jun-11 18:11:32

DS1 was the eve of his 2nd birthday - DS2 was 22m. Both took to it immediately well.

We did try DS1 at 19m, when I had a c-section, but it was a bad bad move - he just wouldnt stay in it!!

LifeOfKate Thu 23-Jun-11 14:51:48

We've just moved DS (18 months) for the same reasons as Pigley... DC2 due in 7 weeks so we wanted to completely seperate the two events so he didn't have 2 massive changes at once when DC2 arrives and we need the cot. He has coped fairly well, he can't fall out as the bed he is in is the top half of a bunkbed (the bottom half is in the loft), so it has barriers all around it apart from one small section at the end which is where the ladder would be if it was being used as bunkbeds.
I wouldn't rush it, DS would still be in a cot if not for DC2. I think the norm is 2 years +.

manchestermummy Thu 23-Jun-11 20:23:11

We moved DD1 just after she turned 2. I would have been happy to keep her in a cot for longer (really wasn't keen on a little visitor in the small hours!) but she kept getting stuck in her sleeping bag and screaming to get out. we ummed and ahed over getting a light duvet, but then decided bed was probably a better idea. Plus we were trying for a DC2 by then so really wanted the cot to be a very distant memory by the time a sibling came along, so she didn't think she was being turfed out. It worked, and she loved the bed from day one!

We have this one in white. Fab bed!

It took her about three weeks though to realise she couldn't get out...!

manchestermummy Thu 23-Jun-11 20:23:27

Could get out.

jubilee10 Fri 24-Jun-11 21:47:03

I moved all mine between 3.5 and 4. Ds 1 was 23 months when ds 2 was born and, I felt, too young for a bed so we got another cot. They were always happy in their cots and old enough to understand that beds are for sleeping by the time they moved.

yodelayheehoo Fri 24-Jun-11 21:51:48

DD1 moved to a bed at 2.5, DD2 moved when she climbed out of her cot at about 2. We had bed guards for them both until the age of about 3.5.

Elizadoesdolittle Fri 24-Jun-11 21:58:56

My 17 month old DD is still in her cot and not even on the lowest setting yet. We are lowering it this weekend, probably should have done it earlier but she has never shown any signs of trying to climb out and wears a grobag which stops her being able to climb so easily. SHe'll probably climb out of it tonight now I've said that smile
I would say it depends on the child quite a bit and your situation. I see no reason for your DD to be moved into bed yet, don't rush it. You'll probably know when the time is right. I'm hoping that's the case for me anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now