Talk

Advanced search

Why is this and how do I fix it?

(17 Posts)
Ozziegirly Tue 21-Jun-11 04:30:38

My DS sleeps for around 1 1/2 hours at lunch time. However, if we're in the car before his nap and he falls asleep, he will not go back to sleep when I get in and put him in the cot.

So today, we went swimming and then he fell asleep (despite my best efforts!) and slept for 6 minutes in the car (I timed him). I then put him in the cot and he was awake after 5 minutes and has been awake, but whinging in a tired way for 30 minutes. So an 11 minute nap instead of 90? I can't believe this is enough sleep!

Is the answer just to do everything to keep him awake in the car? Today I had the air con set to stun, radio on loud and kept tickling his feet but still he fell asleep. I think I would have to pull over and actually wake him.

MrsJamin Tue 21-Jun-11 05:35:45

Unfortunately this "one ticket to sleep" is well known in my circle of friends. If you know he is going to v sleepy in the car and you don't want him to sleep, give him exciting toys, put on a loud nursery rhymes cd, I have been known to even give a packet of crisps!

Ozziegirly Tue 21-Jun-11 07:12:01

Aha so this is a "thing" is it?! I thought I knew all the "things".

Right, so tomorrow it's disco party in the back of the car.....

bunnyfrance Tue 21-Jun-11 07:19:50

I have this too with my DS, 21 months. He will wake in a flash if you dare try putting him in his cot. He will, however, gladly continue sleeping on the sofa (I sit next to him reading/watching telly) for 2 hours. Worth a try?

matana Tue 21-Jun-11 10:52:59

Yep, same here - more so when he was younger though. If he's exhausted i do manage to get him from the car to his cot more or less asleep and he'll sleep for an hour. But if he's only just dozed off he's awake in an instant and i have to wait till he's tired enough again before i put him down for another nap and i have to put up with a bit of grottiness for the time being. I try talking to him in an excited tone when i see he's sleepy. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't. Sorry! It has improved the older he's got though - he's now 8 months.

exexpat Tue 21-Jun-11 11:01:36

I used to keep a book and snacks (for myself) in the car for this reason - there were days when it made more sense for me to sit in the car for half an hour or an hour while one of them napped, rather than try to move them inside and then be faced with a non-sleeping, tired and grumpy baby all afternoon.

monkoray Tue 21-Jun-11 11:33:00

Have you tried not putting him down straight away but waiting an hour and then putting him in his cot? I'm quite lucky because my ds will normally transfer and carry on napping, but on occasions when he doesn't, if I wait an hour and then put him down he will fall asleep quite happily.

Ozziegirly Tue 21-Jun-11 12:19:05

thank you very much, all good suggestions. Tomorrow I am going to try my hardest not to let him sleep in the car. I need that lunchj nap, it's when I do housework and have a cup of tea and a sandwich!

cottonreels Tue 21-Jun-11 16:31:47

Mine did this too when younger. I think its just an age thing. Shes 20 months now and will transfer barely waking. So she sleeps 20 mins in the car and will then go straight to bed for 2 hours. I didnt do anything different, she just started to do it on her own. If she falls asleep for an hour in the car thoughthere is no way I could transfer her then.

MrsJamin Tue 21-Jun-11 21:24:27

I forgot my best trick when ds1/2 start to nod off: queue frantic pointing and shouts of "DIGGER!" "CAR TRANSPORTER!"

Tigresswoods Tue 21-Jun-11 21:40:20

Small box of raisins. That's your answer. Alluring enough to keep him occupied and awake. Not too filling though. Better than any toy.

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 21-Jun-11 21:42:56

Yep, normal. Once they've fallen asleep once near a nap time, that's it.

How far away is swimming that it takes 6 mins to drive home from? Any chance you can walk it instead, then leave him parked in the buggy in the hall til he wakes?

beanandspud Tue 21-Jun-11 21:57:05

I used to do the same as expat and keep a book, drink and snack in the car so that if the worst happened I still had time to myself. I will also admit to sleeping in supermarket car parks blush - it didn't get the housework done but I felt better!

AngelDog Tue 21-Jun-11 23:50:22

Yes, even falling asleep for 60 seconds means they're no longer tired enough to go to sleep once they're home. DS has never transferred from car to anywhere else (well, not since he was about 3 weeks old).

Asking my 18 m.o. to name / point to body parts helps keep him awake now. Generally though I try not to use the car, as he tends to stay awake in the pushchair (and I can tickle him more easily if he shows signs of dropping off).

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 22-Jun-11 00:00:49

If it's any help, the very act of falling asleep can help with tiredness (hence powernaps)
Not ideal I know, but hey, straws are there to be clutched.

Ozziegirly Wed 22-Jun-11 00:16:39

Jareth - swimming is actually 20 minutes drive away but he fell asleep right at the end (typical)

We go to playgroup today and he normally sleeps on the way back so today I shall put all your ideas into play.....

Ozziegirly Wed 22-Jun-11 05:26:47

Whoo, I did it! Managed to get him home awake through use of rice cake, jingly toys and whirring the window up and down, plus singing along badly to the radio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now