Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning toddlers teeth

(11 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Fri 17-Jun-11 20:19:19

I have tried really hard to clean my DD'd teeth since she started getting them really with a tiny toothbrush. She used to let me do it but now at 20 months she refuses.

My mum (who had five of us) says she doesnt remember cleaning ours that early and I shouldn't worry as does my sister who has a DD the same age.
Am I getting too wound up over it and just take it easy. I worry about her getting rotting teeth ect or having to have early fillings. She doesnt eat much sweet stuff (a bit of chocolate now and again) and I try and give her water most of the time instead of juice....

so should I just chill ?

SouthGoingZax Fri 17-Jun-11 20:21:47

I clean our twins teeth once a day, after their bath and after milk.
I think you have a good approach re no juice and no sweets - but our dentist did say brushing is important even at this age. Maybe a song or something to make it easier...?

mountainbug Fri 17-Jun-11 21:21:28

Hi, please brush!!
I'm a dentist and had to do fillings and taken out teeth on 2 year olds because of decay. As soon as the tooth starts to come through plaque can form and so the tooth can become decayed, even if no sweet stuff.
Also if toothbrushing is something that always happens for your little one then you're less likely to have battles in the future.
Although saying all that I agree, it can be a battle, I have a very independent and stubborn 11 month old and it's always a struggle for us!

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 17-Jun-11 21:25:26

PP said it all. Once a day isn't enough!
Haven't you smelled the breath after no teeth brushing? Guessing that's the bacteria.

Cruel to be kind but I used to properly pin DS down and brush his teeth. Now he's 3 he's pretty good at cooperating. If he refuses id still brush them anyway.. IMO have the battle now. Easier than when they are older.

Ivortheengine8 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:28:44

Ok, I shall perservere! We will try and find another way of getting her mouth open! How long do you manage to brush for?
Iwould hate for her to have fillings whilse she is still young and its really hard to avoid sugar nowdays in food.

I am very proud of my teeth mountain - only ever had one tiny 'temp' filling and am now 31!! Thats good isn't it?! grin Mind you my parents were overly mean with sweets and we only ever got them on birthdays and christmas!! sad

mountainbug Fri 17-Jun-11 21:43:01

Maybe family toothbrushing, make it a competition to see who can clean the best or longest, cleaning dolls teeth, try and make it fun rather than a chore. If all else fails unfortunately when babies and children cry they open their mouths!

When a bit older 'disclosing tablets' are great-they turn your teeth pink where there is plaque, it's then a challenge to brush it all off! Generally from about 4/5 yrs old they get the idea.

Keep it up

carve133 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:56:12

DS (22 months) has phases of refusing teeth cleaning. We've found it helpful to sit him on our laps and put him in charge of brushing teddy's (or other toy of his choice) teeth, and then he's more amenable to us brushing his at the same time. Doesn't always work but worth a go. I've wondered if he's less keen when he's teething as well - could your DD be teething?

Ivortheengine8 Fri 17-Jun-11 22:19:05

Its possible carve, It's difficult to tell with her, as we havent really had any major probems (crying,not sleeping etc) with her teething so don't know when it's happening really iykwim? She seems to have sailed through it quite easily. Having said that she is not eating very much at the moment so that could well be a possibility.

AngelDog Fri 17-Jun-11 23:39:53

mountain, is there a recommendation how long you should brush teeth for each time?

I manage to get a brush into my 18 m.o.'s mouth at least twice a day most days but I might only manage a couple of sweeps over each set of teeth before he's had enough, hitting my hand away and closing his mouth. I prefer not to force him (I keep improvising different games/songs) but I would do so if I should be brushing for longer.

fatheroftwins Sat 18-Jun-11 21:30:14

i have twins of 18 months 1 boy and one girl i brush their teeth for about a minute and a half and then let them do the rest by making them spit and brush my son is ok at letting me brush his teeth but my daughter i have 2 physically put her in a lock to stopher getting away and i sing her fav nursery rhyme...I agree hard wrk but a must.good luck.

microserf Sat 18-Jun-11 21:53:55

we're lucky that after months of refusing, 26 month dd now sees toothbrushing as a great game. our neighbour with a 3 year old favours a form of benevolent head lock, so we really know we are lucky.

we made it a game - dd got to choose her toothbrush from a selection and the paste. then one of us made sure to brush at the same time and sing a silly song about it. finally, she got lots of attention for good brushing from both me and her dad, which she loved.

also, her breath stinks when she doesn't brush. i can't bear the thought of all those bacteria eating away at her teeth, so she brushes after breakfast and last thing before bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now