Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

is there any childcare funding so I can go out and work? as I don't think my partner can look after the kids alone

(10 Posts)
janecanbemyname Fri 17-Jun-11 19:36:30

I'm sick of being poor, we're on JSA, DP shows no intention of ever even looking for a job.
I claim job seekers allowance for both of us, so they expect me to find 40 hours a week of work. I have a 1yr old whoI still breastfeed and a 4yr old with special needs, whose only in part time nursery.
I want to get out there and get a job to improve our lives, I'm sick of living like a slob.
Only problem is I think (or know) the kids would be better off being looked after by a childminder or daycare, rather than left with my partner.

If I was single the government would fund childcare while I work, as I have a uselesspartner -- do they assume he's capable enough of looking after my kids?
Is there any way I can get out and work?
I want to save up to leave him in all honesty, I detest the example he's setting my kids, bad mannors, constant swearing, utterly lazy, will not work.

NB; He is my youngest's father. My older child's dad isn't in the picture.

ssd Fri 17-Jun-11 19:53:26

TBH it sounds like you need to leave him and then as a single parent you should get help

can you go to a citizens advice and speak to them about your options of you leave him?

KidderminsterKate Fri 17-Jun-11 19:57:07

absolutely agreed with ssd

sling him out and you can work and get help with childcare.

FutureNannyOgg Fri 17-Jun-11 19:59:43

You won't get childcare tax credits unless you both work 16 hours. You might be able to take part of your pay as vouchers.

TBH he needs to pull his weight, home, childcare and financially, it's not your sole responsibility.

janecanbemyname Fri 17-Jun-11 20:05:53

It's his name on the tenancy sad
arg how frustrating.

I just want a good calm relaxed life where my kids are taught mannors, he hangs out with friends in their late teens (we're mid 20s) drives like an idiot with them, gets annoyed with me, slams doors, swears.

I want better than this, I was doing well as a single parent before I met him.

Maybe I need to move in with a friend to get rehoused by the council to get things sorted? :/

Tryharder Fri 17-Jun-11 20:22:57

Agree with the general consensus that you should leave him. Doesn't sound your relationship is going anywhere.

I think the Government gives a lot of help to single working parents. Good luck.

janecanbemyname Fri 17-Jun-11 20:46:23

There's no easy way of leaving.

Can he move into the spare room and get his own damn JSA and I go back onto lone parent benefit and get support with going back into work?

veritythebrave Fri 17-Jun-11 20:51:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bejeezus Fri 17-Jun-11 20:51:57

you can claim working tax credits and family tax credits (once you are working) as a single person even if you are still living in the same house. That is the situation I am in, as my stbxh refuses to leave the house. I have to wait for divorce to go through then court proceedings which will then see him move out. I was very suprised when I found this was possible but I suppose it is quite a common scenario- it is not always possible for 1 party to leave the home immediately

SO I would go and get yourself a job and put your childrens name on nursery lists and go from there

good luck

fragileghost Sat 18-Jun-11 18:02:26

What is your 4 year old's special needs? I have a child with SN too and he gets DLA, which means I can get carer's allowance and income support. I was on JSA before but our income almost tripled once we got DLA awarded, as CTC and IS both have disability/caring premiums.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: