Talk

Advanced search

3 Year old developing a stammer

(7 Posts)
wonka Thu 16-Jun-11 13:19:29

Over the last month my 3 year old has developed a full word stammer. He repeats full words at the begining of sentences. It doesn't seem to be excitment and sometimes I think he is doing it deliberatly in order to think as he is speaking.
He is very bright has a huge vocabulary and speaks well and clearly.
Is this something I should just ignore or is there a way to encourage him to stop without making him uncomfortable??

WowOoo Thu 16-Jun-11 13:23:11

No answer sorry.
Ds1 used to do this. i think it gave him 'thinking time.'
He still repeats sentences and words until he's happy with what he's telling us.

I used to let him take his time and try not to finish his sentences or to repeat/echo/suggest what i thought he'd like to say.

mistressploppy Thu 16-Jun-11 13:34:03

Ex-SLT here. It's normal non-fluency; I'd ignore and definitely avoid drawing attention to it, WowOoo has the right idea.

wonka Thu 16-Jun-11 13:39:24

Thanks, I thought that was what I should do, I have been ignoring and just waiting till he gets out whatever he's trying to say, but last night as I put him to bed he said Mummy can you teach me not to do the what whats. So he's becoming aware himself he's doing it.

25goingon95 Fri 17-Jun-11 12:41:47

I would get him to see a SALT asap. If he is now aware of it it is vital it is dealt with the right way. I do agree that what you describe is normal in a child of 3 but after our experience (DD has had a stammer since 2yo and is now 5 and still stammering) i wouldn't mess around. If you can afford it, go private so you can see someone sooner and get some advice.

jimblejambles Fri 17-Jun-11 16:21:18

Ds2 is nearly 4 and has been doing this since just after turning 3. I took him to see the health visitor then a speech therapist. Both said not to worry and he would grow out of it. He is slowly I would take him to a health visitor to put your mind at ease.

wonka Fri 17-Jun-11 18:40:44

Thanks I've spoken to the HV who is seeing us next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now