Talk

Advanced search

Losing my Son - Help!

(7 Posts)
cem1803 Thu 16-Jun-11 12:51:58

Hello all,
I just wondered if anyone else has been through where I am at the minute. My LO is 2 and a bit - my only one. He was born by emergency C section so initially I had a few problems feeling totally connected with him. He went to his Dad first and it was four hours before I met him. Then we had problems with him breast feeding so I lost that time with him too but everything had been alright. I should say I love him more than anything in the world, he is everything to me, so much so that I haven't gone back to work as planned so I can be with him. Just lately however there has been a noticable shift in our relationship - basically he just all about his Dad. His Dad works long hours so he doesn't get to see him all that much and I know this just sounds like I am jealous but he is literally ALL his Dad - he won't say Mumma/Mum/ Mummy any more even though it was his first word. I can't settle him at night any more he just screams for his Dad he doesn't come to me when he's hurt himself or is ill like he used to - now he either pushes me away if I try to comfort him hits me or just cries until he feels like stopping. I do keep telling myself he's two he doesn't know what this is doing to me its not deliberate but its starting to really get to me now! I love my OH to pieces but lets be honest he does nothing for our LO other than rag about with him now and again. I'm just lost! I don't know what to do to get my little boy back its breaking my heart. What's worse is I can feel myself hardening to him and I am back feeling like I did when he was a newborn. Advice?

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 16-Jun-11 12:54:12

He's 2 and starting to identify himself with the man in the house - you are over reacting. Try not to take it personally and things will settle down.

MollysChamber Thu 16-Jun-11 12:55:41

My three all went through this stage. I found that for the first year and a bit they were "mine", then DH was just the best thing ever and had to do everything for them when he was home. It calms down after a while and it's more equal now. DH would probably say they come to me more.

cubscout Thu 16-Jun-11 14:39:01

Just a phase, and the first of many. Boys have periods when they identify more with a male parent - it's jus about learning to be a boy. My ds was like this at 2, then at 3 he shut oh out and it was all about me, wanting to marry me when he grew up etc.

My ds is 9 now and going through another 'dad' phase. But when the chips are down you will alaways be mum.

cem1803 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:03:51

Thanks for those - I know I am super sensitive about this - I think, no I KNOW, I still carry a lot of rubbish and guilt around with me from when he was born not being there for him etc. It's just such a dramatic shift in him it's really upset me. He was so loving and now I can't go within a foot of him without him having a total melt down and the biggest thing that has got to me is this refusing to call me Mumma/Mum/Mummy - and I do say refusing because I know he knows what I am called and I know he can say it as he used to he just WONT! But maybe I have to accept for the time being my name is 'point and shriek!'
I shall turn it around and embrace the 'Daddy-ness' my new phrase will be 'No no He wants YOU to do it I'm off back to sleep!' ;)

MollysChamber Thu 16-Jun-11 16:05:04

Oh yes, there are benefits. Enjoy them because it really doesn't last!

microserf Sat 18-Jun-11 21:40:24

My dd went through this stage, and it seemed it would never end. Everyone noticed it, and I was miserable.

Now, it's the way around all of a sudden! I felt guilty as I had a bad pregnancy which meant I couldn't take care of dd as well as I wanted (v high risk with ds). It all comes right in the end...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now