Talk

Advanced search

tiny light weight balance bike recommendations wanted

(13 Posts)
skybluepearl Mon 13-Jun-11 22:17:32

I'm looking for a small light weight balance bike. Ideally not too expensive. Can anyone recommend any specific makes?

olibeansmummy Tue 14-Jun-11 21:55:36

Ds has the toy story one from toys r us. He's 2 and 2 weeks and a bit on the short side but not tiny and he fits it perfectly with the seat on the lowest setting. It's only £30 too smile

UniS Tue 14-Jun-11 22:40:35

Islabikes Rothan.
www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/rothan.html
not the cheapest but they keep their value and sell well second hand for about half the new price ( or maybe more on e-bay).
Size wise Isla bike say 30cm floor to crotch, but I reckon our lad was only 28cm when he started on his Rothan. Measurements are WITH shoes on for bikes. VERY light A shade under 4kg.

LittleMissFlustered Tue 14-Jun-11 23:04:25

I got my son a cheap and cheerful one from Sports Direct. Yes it is garish and covered in cars, but is it light and he loves it. It gets battered about in the garden, he trundles to the shops and back with me and it is generally treat like most kids' bikes. Perfect for fifteen quidgrin

NationalTruss Tue 14-Jun-11 23:27:59

Puky. Got ours off ebay (but new). metal not wooden. Great, really sturdy, now on its 4th kid.

Caz10 Wed 15-Jun-11 04:57:22

Another vote for puky if it's a small one you are after. My dd has outgrown hers now and is onto a strider, also vg!

chesky Fri 24-Jun-11 23:36:10

I can recommend a strider rider bike, my son has one from these people www.strider-rider.co.uk/ brilliant bike and it is nice an light. My son is a very petite 2 year old and i did a lot of research before i bought his bike as a lot of the bikes i found did not go very small. this one is perfect and it isnt even set at the lowest point. These bikes have aspecial filed tyre so no risk of punctures and my OH has also had fun riding around on it.

Roo83 Sat 25-Jun-11 00:15:06

Another vote for Islabikes rothan....absolutely fab. Still in great condition so hanging on to it for number 2!

ronshar Sat 25-Jun-11 00:17:58

We have strider as well. DS is a bit short but has manged it from 2years and is now a pro rider. Except down hill. I have to run like the clappers after him. Stopping is always an issue.

ChunkyPickle Sat 25-Jun-11 00:30:51

We have a y-bike for our little one (argos has it for < 40 quid).

He's too little for it, but the thing is strong enough for me to scoot about on it instead!

madhattershouse Sat 25-Jun-11 00:32:43

I bought a wee-ride from a shop on e-bay. Suitable from 18 months, metal framed with brake and not heavy. £25 so very good price!

chesky Tue 28-Jun-11 22:50:42

Ronchar you can get a brake kit for the strider bike, that is easy to fit once your child has mastered balancing i think www.strider-rider.co.uk is the cheapest place for these.

ronshar Wed 29-Jun-11 09:44:03

Thank you Chesky. I will have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now