Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

i am too sensitive 'ave a word with me...

(7 Posts)
fandango75 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:28:57

I always beat myself up about the smallest things and always have done. Now worse that I have a dc. I am happy go lucky and lively and my soncznd I always have a great laugh. Today in the garden he was helping me move some flowers and then started pulling them out and I told him I didn't want him to help at that minute in time and to wait until we were ready fir the next bit as taking them back out wasn't helping mummy. I am now totally consumed by guilt. I have suffered in the past with catastrophising and was referred until mental health when pregnant where I became anxious in the extreme so I know underlying anxiety is an issue.

I know I am a great parent and our son has a wonderful life but I spend my entire spare time worrying I am crap and being bothered by ridiculous little things. It's affecting me as when wee man us asleep I just sit and feel guilty and over analyse (understatement). The above gardening incident is just one example to demonstrate the weirdest things in my thought process.

Can someone give me advice and do you think I should mention to my gp?

My dc is 2.5

Thanks

BluddyMoFo Mon 13-Jun-11 20:31:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

naturalbaby Mon 13-Jun-11 20:40:33

if you have had anxiety problems in the past and dealt with it then do you think you are going downhill again, or do you think you have enough coping strategies to deal with things at the moment?
has anything happened or is anything going on to make you more stressed and anxious?
what sort ouf outcome do you want from the gp? the last couple of times i went to my gp they asked me ''what do you want me to do about it?" !

sorry for a barrage of questions but it all depends on how you think you are coping and whether you think you can deal with things on your own, or need a bit of extra support at the moment.

fandango75 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:44:34

Oh no think I am fine and I have good coping strategies and people around me so actually you're right what can they do. Nowt. Feel better for coming on here though as don't usually and just wanted to get it off my chest. I thank you

pointythings Mon 13-Jun-11 20:49:55

I think you handled it just fine, and speaking as a parent I think you always question your discipline - too harsh? too soft? - in your own mind it'll never be right, you'll always feel guilty. The trick is handling it and accepting that good enough is good enough.

Threadworm8 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:51:44

What you said to your son was absolutely fine. Sorry that you feel this way. I think I understand it and have felt similarly myself sometimes. It is good that you can label these unrealistic thoughts for what they are, but I do understand that that odesn't make them go away. I wonder if a good strategy is just to 'watch' those bad thoughts, acknowledge them and don't try to squash them away or reason yourself out of them. Just let them float, and remind yourself you will see things more realistically when you are more relaxed/less tired/etc.

fandango75 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:13:10

Thanks for taking the time to respond it's been a great help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: