Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Immunisations Question

(3 Posts)
mariposa1 Mon 13-Jun-11 18:48:03

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding immunisations please. My 8 week old DS is due to have his BCG this Wednesday, followed by his standard 8 week immunisations next Friday - so there will only be a 9 day gap between the two.

My question is, is it ok to have two sets of immunisations with such a small gap in between them? They're being done at two different health clinics, but I spoke to a nurse at one of them who said that it's ok because the BCG will be going in the arm and the others in the leg.

So I think it probably is ok, but I'm just looking for reassurance really (I'm a first-time mum and worrying about EVERYTHING!!!)

TIA x

monkoray Mon 13-Jun-11 19:46:20

Yes its OK. The nurse is right.
The BCG vaccine is a live vaccine. Therefore it shouldn't be given at the same time (or within a month) of other live vaccines. But the only other live childhood vaccine is MMR and that isn't given until 12 months. It is also advised that no other vaccines are given in the same arm as the BCG for three months after because it can cause something called lymphadenitis.
So you DS will be fine getting your DTap/IPV/Hib and PCV 9 days after his BCG because the two routine vaccines are given in the leg.
That goes for your DSs 3 month visit as well.
But you may need to remind the nurse at your 4 month visit not to inject in the same arm as the BCG. At 4 months your DS will get DTap/IPV/Hib, and MenC and PCV. Because there are three injections they may do one in each leg and one in the arm. As it will be less than three months since the BCG you will need to remind the nurse to do it in the opposite arm.
The routine schedule is here if you want to look http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/vaccinations/Pages/Vaccinationchecklist.aspx

and the advice on BCG can be found in the Department of Health Green book
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_116577.pdf
page 396.

mariposa1 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:48:14

Thanks so much monkoray, that's really helpful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: