Talk

Advanced search

Am I overfeeding 7.5 mo?

(7 Posts)
Masalamama Mon 13-Jun-11 17:39:08

Hi there, I'm beginning to get worried about my DS. He has always been a big boy, FF and on the 90th percentile for weight and 75th for height for most of his little life. He drank about 35ozs a day before I weaned him and has now taken to solids really well.

He has just weighed in at 11.7kgs, which is off the scale as far as the percentile chart goes and is tall too at 90th percentile. He is trying to crawl backwards, rolling around and standing very well but no other movements.

I'm getting very conflicting advice. The local health visitor put the fear of God in me but couldn't recommend what I should do to not feed DS. Some people are saying, it will all fall off when he starts walking. Others that it's not good for his heart and that obesity starts in childhood! I'm not sure how I can not feed him when he's crazy with hunger?? I'm trying to limit his carbs and I never him him butter or oil...

DH was an enormous baby and is quite skinny now, and I am a size 8-10. We eat very healthy and never buy junk foods (DD didn't get sugar until well over 2 years of age).

Does anyone have any advice? I was thinking of taking him again to the health visitor this week and also getting an appt with the GP, in case they are rubbish.

Thanks a ton in advance

monkoray Mon 13-Jun-11 19:55:10

If your baby was always on the 90th percentile that means he is a naturally big baby and will therefore need more calories. I don't think its possible to over feed a baby as they will stop eating if they aren't hungry.
My DS was on the 75th percentile until we weaned and then he shot up to the 90th and stayed there even after learning to crawl and walk. But he is in no way fat.
I don't think you should be limiting the carbs or worrying about fat intake. Babies need a huge quantity of fat and carbs because they are growing. In fact if you are limiting the useful food that will help him grow that might be why he is needing to eat so much. I think you need to talk to a different HV and if you are still worried talk to the GP too, but ask about the content of your DSs diet as well as the quantity.
good luck

niamh29 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:09:44

If your DH was the same way I'm sure he's just following in his footsteps, as long as he is eating heathly food there is no way he is on the way to obesity, I wouldn't go back to the hv as they are only worrying you, he'll probably be tall and lean before he turns 2.

Sparklyboots Mon 13-Jun-11 22:39:16

If the baby eats when he is hungry and stops eating when he is no longer hungry and doesn't eat if he's not hungry, he's eating the right amount. You aren't feeding him junk - and if you aren't interfering with his ability to self-regulate, he will self-regulate. F the charts.

swash Tue 14-Jun-11 10:31:53

My niece was off the scale as a baby (breastfed) - wearing 12 month clothes at 2 months. She was a huge toddler. At five she is average.

HVs can really talk nonsense (though some are great!) My friend is a nutritionist with a special interest in babies. She told me that protein was v important for babies - more so than carbs. I would make sure that he gets a good portion of protein a day, plus lots of veggies. Carbs are easy, so I would assume he gets enough of those.

Tigresswoods Tue 14-Jun-11 11:30:00

I second what everyone else says, they stop eating when they are not hungry, so long as you are giving him healthy food I wouldn't worry.

Also one day he will get ill and he will refuse to eat and will loose weight. You will be glad of his podge then. We were.

Masalamama Thu 16-Jun-11 10:46:11

Thanks ladies for the advice, I had forgotten about how they stop eating when they teeth/ fall ill etc. I'll stop worrying now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now