Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Question about FF 2.5 month old

(5 Posts)
niamh29 Sun 12-Jun-11 21:22:29

DD3 starting having diarrhoea at about 6 weeks and I took her to the doctor who found nothing wrong but said I could try a lactose free formula to see if it made a difference, it did, her system went back to normal after 24 hrs and she has been on it for 2-3 weeks and is doing well, we are wondering if and when we should move her back to normal formula or should she stay on the lactose free. The lactose free formula is a good bit more expensive than the normal formula but if the diarrhoea is just going to come back I'll keep her on the lactose free for as long as she needs.

polar515 Sun 12-Jun-11 21:35:11

I think you can get the lactose free formula on prescription if lactose intolerance has been properly diagnosed. I'd go back to the GP and discuss it.

notsoqueenofclean Sun 12-Jun-11 21:43:49

We had this with DD2. Terrible tummy aches, diarrhoea, flaky skin, rashes....

Took her to the GP who prescribed Wysoy. Had the same effect so kept going to see him until we were eventually sent to the hospital. DD2 was on nutramigen for almost a year and has just been tested and is ok to have milk, soya and eggs now. Nutramigen costs about £25 a tin so they are always reluctant to let you have it. The hospital gave it to us to begin with and then sent us back to the GP. We had it on repeat prescription.

I would be pushing for treatment at the allergies clinic tbh, it's unlikely they'll prescribe it if DD isn't being monitored by them. If it's helping her, there is no way I would move her back onto normal formula.

DD2 had burns on her bottom from the amount of diarrhoea she had. Whatever was in it was literally burning her skin. Paed said if that was what was happening on the outside, it is highly likely that was what was going on inside as well and it was no wonder she was so miserable.

niamh29 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:04:36

Thanks, think I will go back to the GP and get some advice.

Notsoqueenofclean: thank god our DD wasn't that bad, your DD sounds like she went through an awful time, our DD must just be mildly lactose intolerant cause it was just diarrhoea and the doctor said that usually lactose intolerant babies have a very sore bum and my DD didn't, I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing till she is able to cope with lactose.

narmada Tue 14-Jun-11 13:27:19

Babies can become temporarily lactose intolerant following stomach bugs - usually, this resolves in a few weeks. True congenital lactose intolerance is actually very rare and your baby would be quite ill, I think, if she had it - e.g., not putting on weight, dehydrated etc.

Cow's milk protein is a common source of allergy for babies but there is cow's milk protein in lactose-free formula and if she's completely better on the lactose free, then it's probably not cow's milk protein that's the problem! YOu could try the normal formula again and see what happens. If the diarrhea restarts then go back to the GP for further tests I reckon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: