Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Chicken pox help please.....

(7 Posts)
MrsMc82 Sun 12-Jun-11 16:24:34

DS is 16 mo and I have a feeling that he could be coming down with chicken pox, he's had a dry cough for last few days, woke with a fever, drenched with sweat on thursday eve, has been a little bit sick on monday and thursday, had a v restless night with last night and won't eat anything and is generally whingy, clingy, needs cuddles today.... All seems like the pre spot symptoms listed on nhs site etc and there has been an outbreak over last few weeks at nursery but am confused as there's no sign of spots yet and also these symptoms are not all at once, but rather over the space of 5ish days..... Let me know your thoughts..... Thank you

Seona1973 Sun 12-Jun-11 20:17:55

could just be viral. You wont know its chicken pox until you see the blistery spots

niamh29 Sun 12-Jun-11 21:11:39

I didn't get any signs of my two getting chickenpox until the spots appeared and then they were quite sick for 2 days, it could just be a cold or virus like Seona said.

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 12-Jun-11 21:15:28

dd had chicken pox a few weeks ago, spots just fading, had no idea until the evening before all the spots appeared when she was whingey and lay down on the floor - she's not a whinging or lying down sort of child. Following morning - covered. Just keep an eye on him I suppose, and if you are worried then get to out of hours or get an appointment tomorrow?

BiggestPiggyOnTheFarm Sun 12-Jun-11 22:00:05

With both of mine, one being 15 months when he got CP, the first thing I noticed was the spots. Only once I saw the spots and realised it was CP did I realise that they'd been slightly more grumpy the day before.

I think if the symptoms have been coming/going for 5 days then it probably isn't CP, you'd have spots by now in my experience.

quickchat Mon 13-Jun-11 19:48:00

Even if it is, they all get it so don't worry about it too much. It's also good to get it over and done with.

My two are 4 and 18 months and the only two who haven't had it out of EVERYBODY i know.

I know what they are plotting.....they are waiting for me to book our first big holiday which involves flying angry!

TeamLemon Mon 13-Jun-11 19:54:25

Chicken pox seems to have a faster onset than 5 days. Both my boys had it about this time last year (and there is another dose doing the rounds at school now - maybe this is the time of year for it?).
Both were a bit grotty the day before. My (then) 4yo was tired and grumpy but ok during the day, and then the spots appeared in the evening. My 18mo had a much worse case and was feverish the day before the spots appeared.

If the spots do appear, oats in a sock floating in a warm bath is very calming (for the children, not you! You'll need copious amounts of gin.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: