Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Best formula for FF windy six week old....

(13 Posts)
blondie99 Sat 11-Jun-11 20:17:29

Firstly I apologise for an beginners mistakes I make with this, but this is my first message so please bare with me.

I had to stop BF at three weeks and was advised by my HV to use Aptimal formula, this unfortunately made the wind worse, so I tried SMA, as others on here have found this has caused some constipation and discomfort, so now need to review again, HV confirmed ok to change if needed but would really appreciate any advice on the best formula to try...

Liskey Sat 11-Jun-11 20:26:14

Hi Blondie welcome to Mumsnet

Sorry I can't advise on types of formula but i can recommend Dr Brown's bottles which were very good for helping wind/colic in my DD.

Liskey Sat 11-Jun-11 20:34:08

forgot to say you might be better reposting this question in breast and bottle feeding section wink

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding

fiorentina Sat 11-Jun-11 20:51:07

We moved our 9 week old from Aptamil to Hipp Organic and it has helped with wind and constipation so suits our son and his needs at the moment.

blondie99 Sun 12-Jun-11 09:10:05

thanks guys smile

amatuermummy Sun 12-Jun-11 09:56:37

We changed our dd to Cow and Gate comfort and she improved so much. It really helped her, as did using Infacol. Good luck.

narmada Sun 12-Jun-11 13:42:32

Congratulations on your baby!

You can change formulas no problem - they are all very similar in composition, they have to be by law. I have never understood the thing about asking your HV before changing....

Is your baby vomity at all? If so (and even if not) and if you don't get any joy with a different brand, then you may want to consider whether she has cow's milk protein intolerance. This can cause constipation (or sometimes diarrhea), wind, feeding issues, poor sleep etc. You could ask your GP for a trial of a hydrolysed formula (not Soy or Lactose free) to see if that helps things.

boysrock Sun 12-Jun-11 13:44:06

Cow and gate comfort was great for ours.

blondie99 Sun 12-Jun-11 15:59:30

She is vomity, have been trying Gaviscon Infant for that but only for last 24 hours. Thanks for that suggestion, is that prescription based? Also if this is the case is it an intolerance she is likely to grow out of would you know? Thanks again

dribbleface Sun 12-Jun-11 20:05:06

We swapped to cow and gate comfort and Dr brown bottles, was the best thing we ever did. Did take a while to settle down with C & G though.

narmada Mon 13-Jun-11 20:26:17

blondie yes, hydrolysed milks are on prescription. You might suspect CMP intolerance even more strongly if she has anything like eczema, sore skin, or a rash around her bum. My DS who has CMP intolerance had terrible wind on normal formula, I mean really horrible, especially before a big poo. This has completely gone on the hydrolysed formula.

Gaviscon infant may well make things worse if there's a cow's milk issue as gav infant tends to cause constipation in and of itself. However, if it's reflux that's the issue, gaviscon might help....smile

sneaker Mon 13-Jun-11 20:27:58

As others said, Cow and gate comfort and Dr Brown's bottles worked for us. Good luck - it's a really hard time.

blondie99 Tue 14-Jun-11 15:30:22

thanks everyone, I am trying cow and gate and gaviscon as per doc, and doc also gave her a dose of lactolose which has moved things along shall we say! poor little might thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: