Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What is the best age to let children play out

(11 Posts)
FullTimeStudentNurseAndMumOf3 Fri 10-Jun-11 00:06:52

Hi, a lot of my 5 year old DS's pals play out but I believe that he is to young. Whilst trusting my instincts has got me through being a parent this far the last thing I want to do is wrap him up in cotton wool. Any advice given would be gratefully received. Thank you

cat64 Fri 10-Jun-11 00:18:33

Message withdrawn

FullTimeStudentNurseAndMumOf3 Fri 10-Jun-11 00:25:21

Thanks for your reply. We actually live on a corner of the road where cars can zoom round. I did go through a phase of letting him scoot up and down the road on the pavement whilst I sat outside the front door and have seen that most of the neighbourhood kids zoom round the corner on the road so am reluctant. But at what age do u let them learn that zooming around corners on scooters isn't the smartest thing to do. None of the other kids have been hit by cars. Hard knowing what's best smile

FullTimeStudentNurseAndMumOf3 Fri 10-Jun-11 00:27:12

Don't want to embarrass DS by sitting outside or not letting him out, but don't want him to be hit by car much more.

cat64 Fri 10-Jun-11 16:36:59

Message withdrawn

Ben10isthespawnofthedevil Fri 10-Jun-11 16:50:12

No way that DS (nearly 6) is playing out for a while - probably when he is about 18 9 or 10. However there are no front gardens - we have terraces straight onto the pavement and DS is quite immature and is being assessed for ASD.

JIRkids Fri 10-Jun-11 17:23:03

I think traffic would be my main worry too. I think if there is a road right there I would just stick with your garden unless you can actually sit and watch the whole time. I reckon if the other kids there play on the road that is what your son would want to do too so I wouldn't leave him to it. I have a 4 and 7 year old and I just let them play in the garden or I take them to the park on their bikes but am with them the whole time. There aren't really any children that play out where I live though so in a way I don't have this issue. However, there is a road at the front of mine so wouldn't really want them playing out there. I am pretty paranoid about safety though and am already driving them crazy with my 'fussing'!!!!

Mummyloveskisses Fri 10-Jun-11 21:28:37

My DS1 is 13 now and was 10 before I let him play out... I would have anyone he wanted in (garden or house) but there is no way I would have let him out before then. DD is 3.5 years and DS2 15 months so they are a long way away from outside play smile

I know there will be a few (or maybe alot) of people who will say what a shame it is children aren't allowed to run free but I would like to say to them my children are regulary taken to parks etc where they run free and explore to their hearts desires all under my watchful eyes they are definately NOT missing out on anything!

FullTimeStudentNurseAndMumOf3 Sat 11-Jun-11 07:47:50

Thank you all. Helps when I write it down and read it to be honest. He is far too young and easily led. He would scoot on the road as the older kids do but not have the sense to shift if he saw a car. You also never know who is around and about. I hate to think it but there are awful people about which as an adult I know about. Thankfully he does not however as his parent it is up to me to protect him both from awful people and cars. Letting him play out for fear of him not fitting in is daft and maybe is an insecurity of mine, not his. Thank you everyone for helping me to see what I think I knew all along. smile

FullTimeStudentNurseAndMumOf3 Sat 11-Jun-11 07:52:26

Ps, I also let his friends play in our garden and taken him, his siblings and their friends to the park to run around under my watchful eye. That's enough for a 5 year old for now. Also will let him scoot in the front but only if I am cleaning car or weeding so that I can teach him more about staying on pavement but not sat watching him as such. Thanks guys smile

FullTimeStudentNurseAndMumOf3 Sat 11-Jun-11 07:53:23

*take

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: